Turbo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh don't even give me that idea. I plan on living for a while. I am easily persuaded on these types of things and I am crazy enough to rig one up if I could get my hands on the engines.

Hehe. I've done that already using a 33c chainsaw engine with a rear coaster rim sprocket welded to the centrifugal clutch and a front sprocket off a touring bike mounted on the rear scooter tire. Did not have a throttle though. Just held on with one hand and squeezed the trigger or pushed the lock button n the bike just kept going. Lots of fun. Top speed was 32 MPH. No vibration. I built a frame for the little motor. Worked great. Any other crazy ideas?

Ive thought about this before, and there could be, but I dont know if the idea of a turbo would work on a 2-stroke engine...

i don't know either and although these are gasoline-a detriot desel is a supercharged two stroke deisel,so i would imagine there would be no problem.sounds very expensive though:D

This has been beat to death on every forum out there that involves two strokes.
Yes it works.
No there are no turbos in the size you need.
Is it worth doing? No
Spend your time and money researching expansion chambers and save weight,money and not have complicationed machinery and plumbing.

Detroit diesels are a different type of two stroke, they are not piston port but rather have inlet ports around perifary of cylinder liner on the lower portion with cam driven exhaust valves.The blower is used for scavenging the cylinder and to boost cylinder pressure.
The valves shut before injection of fuel so no A/F mixture runs out exhaust port and does not use or need reverse flow to fill cylinder with complete A/F mixture as with a carburetored SI engine as the fuel is injected into pre chamber after valves are shut, in this portion of the combustion process it is like a regular 4 cycle diesel.

Last edited:
Would there be, or is there a way to add a turbo kit onto these 70/80cc engines or would I have to fabricate one myself. Any tips?
Turbo a happy-time 2-stroke? Nope, won't work.

---------

Turbo a ~50cc 4-stroke engine?

Would work, if you had a turbo small enough.
Nobody makes them.
You might be able to make something workable yourself, if you have access to a milling machine and a lathe. McMaster-Carr sells smaller chunks of the metal you need for the spinning parts. My main questions would be what to use for bearings? I would look for some open-cage ceramic bearings, and then expect to use an electric pump and radiator to circulate cooling oil through them.

I would suggest a supercharger instead, though. A centrifugal-flow supercharger would be about half-easier to build than a turbo would. Setting up the flow/boost is far easier also, as it's just mechanically driven off the crankshaft.

------

I read the thread on the turbocharged Whizzer. I would wonder what that turbo is sized for. Turbos are driven by exhaust flow, so putting a turbo for a big engine onto a smaller engine doesn't work well, and may not provide any boost at all. [edit] And what what he doing for bearing cooling?

The smallest turbos I found online were for ~500cc motorcycle engines. There's no way a 138cc Whizzer engine is going to get more than a couple PSI of boost from such a turbo, the Whizzer engine doesn't seem to me that it would provide enough exhaust flow to run the turbo very fast.
~

Last edited by a moderator:
The last time i chatted with Tony from Rock Solid Engines, the team was playing around with a small 2 inch diameter experimental turbo, designed to work with a 2 stroke bicycle engine.

Time will only tell if it gets to the production stage.

Would certainly be a "must have" accessory if it proves workable and reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back