Turbo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ha ha, economy with a turbo.
fine, alright, i admit, it is possible. but you are meant to tune for 12:1 stoich with turbos, approx, rather than the ideal, economic, min emissions of 14 point whatever it is to 1 an efi is capable of...

the efi kit arrived today, but i am sorely tempted to get some copper sheet and solder up a box for the carb... now i have had it do something, i refuse to give up! why copper? cus i have a sheet of it, but not aluminium... and aluminium requires me to go get oxy or a new blowtorch tip (2 inch tip aint much good for delicate work) etc etc...copper i can just solder up and see...

as for boost... and limitations on boost... technically, a "centrifugal air compressor" aka, turbo, can achieve over 100 psi, without multistaging. but, an engine has limitations on what it can get the turbo to produce (in my case, its too darn small for the turbo) and limitations on what it can take. lower compression ratios, etc, an engine setup for turbo, without the turbo, is a complete DOG. low compression, etc etc. then theres this strange area of turbo sizing... surging, and...i forget the other terms... basically, theres an ideal amount of work a turbo can do, or is expected to do. dont meet the requirements, exceed the requirements... bye bye turbo :(

this turbo i have was wastegated at 8psi, not recommended to go over 14 with it though, for, as butre mentioned...it has inadequate seals, mostly.

on that note, i think i may already be overloading the compressor seal, have to restrict oil flow a bit (lifan 140's have handy oil feed/return lines, as stock) and the way i have it setup, i probably am tearing the crap out of my cams... at least my return line is in the rocker cover, straight back onto the camshaft...

i choose blow through mainly because its meant to be easy to tune, almost retain standard carb tunings... whereas draw/suck through doesnt.. but what im experiencing is doing my head in.

chucking it in a box, thats the answer...no worrying about pitot tubes or other types of nonsense... it may be that my pitot tube is too close to the turbo. it may be oversized. maybe its undersized. maybe its the hole in the carbs bowl vent, or the hose used to hook them together at fault... who the freak would know? strangely, blocking off the vent in the carb throat for the emulsion tube has taken it from spluttering and dying at anything over 1/4 throttle to basically smooth... until i open it wide up and splutter cough bang, pop wheeze, dead... it likes a .8 drill in the jet, when naturally aspirated. any bigger, it wont rev, any smaller, it dies. but with the turbo, it isnt exactly pleased, but works, with a 0.7, whereas a .9mm drill just makes black smoke until the flames erupt from the exhaust :)

of course, this is the first time i have ever played with a turbo, so i am learning :)

the plan?

i have a honda C50 frame. now i do courier work, i want something LIGHT, something CHEAP, and, well...something SILLY! the lifan 140 bolts straight in, a brand spanking new engine is approx $300, i can get cams, parts, etc, all fairly cheap...so if i blow an engine...so what? two bolts, the engines removed from the frame... and i am good to go

of course .. the world fasted 50cc has a turbocharger...
would it be worth it ..no unless you tried everything in the book first.. invest in a good pipe kx 85

The point is, yes it "can" be done. But its not easy and not cheap. There are other mods such as Reed valves, porting and expansion chambers that add performance to a two stroke. And honestly, figuring out how to fit a power valve into one of these would be cheaper and probably a lot more effective than a homemade turbo. But the main point is, why spend the money to make a ****ty engine perform better when there are already other engines that perform better right out of the box. I have a 79cc predator that comes 3hp stock, and I'm expecting 4 just by disconnecting the governor, upgrading the carb and adding a high flow exhaust. Then they have custom ground cams, billet flywheels and stiffer valve springs, all which is e fairly easy to install and PROVEN to work. Not the cheapest either, especially the custom ground cam, but they do work. Turbos on two strokes have not yet been proven to work. If you're suggesting that everyone else is copping out by saying its not worth it, instead of coming on here talking more ****, do something about it and prove us all wrong. In the mean time I will stick with my predator engine.

Predator motors are for tanks(go karts).

http://m.ebay.com/itm/112048336728?
$_1.JPG

I would rather be powering a radiator however, turbo is a simple concept, why not

Tho a PC fan and duct tape and the white wire is probably gonna happen and it provide a simple stack for under 5 bucks

900072713007DD13-2__09539.1447283020.500.659 (1).jpg

• 40mm x 40mm x 20mm
  • 12VDC .84A (7-17 VDC operating)
  • 5000 RPM
  • 570 CFM
  • Ball bearing
  • 3 pin connector
My bike can run a 7-17VDC product all day, with the gen installed to a grounded rectifier and 2 dynamos. I dunno what else to install on it...

$_1 (1).JPG

35-119-032-04.jpg

Aluminum should be used appropriately

Last edited:
Who actually generates a need for 60psi, more power to ya if you want to carry that everywhere.

What's tangible is electric air induction, what's the point if I'm generating a 500cfm fan with my bike, i can use any cfms anywhere for a benefit

I don't wanna carry a battery for a jet engine, as i said it's heavy.
Put that weight as a radiator and add some air cool to the air cool.

You prolly would say wrapping anchor chain around my engine doesnt help with cooling, but I drive it and its cool as f***.

Water pump
DC8060 (1).JPG

Hitemp fan
$_1 (2).JPG

Last edited:
a plain old fan doesn't compress air. you won't get 1 psi out of it, let alone 60. it's just an intake restriction.

$_1 (3).JPG

A 5cfm fan pacing the RPM of the engine idle as a gasket here is gonna do something, you don't think it's funny I found a 500cfm blower
a plain old fan doesn't compress air. you won't get 1 psi out of it, let alone 60. it's just an intake restriction.

A plain old turbo has a hi-temp turbine powered by the exhaust. May as well use a car battery on an air compressor and it still wont be enough.

You have to provide that air pressure and when the engine asks for that same pressure again you have to deliver it again, so I'm installing an intake fan because I can at least know I'm delivering the same pressure, however incrementally increased.

Attachments

• shopping (4).jpg
    shopping (4).jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back