Turn signals & lights

OK... I installed this unit on to my gooseneck so I could monitor it' behavior while i rode.

First the good:

It's quite loud. The horn options... loud. The alarm... loud. Loud enough to hurt my ears while while it's on the gooseneck with nothing between it and my ears. I suspect it'll be OK with it on back.

It's decently bright. Can you see it in daylight? Yes.

The blinker operation work great.... and you can hear the blinker noise even over the engine... at least while it's on the gooseneck.

The alarm seems QUITE sensitive.... gives a warning beep then goes all out ... LOUD.

There are 5 or 6 modes... pulse...flash... steady...etc. 3 of those 6 modes are "auto" modes... meaning they automatically come on... and then check for brightness of the day... if dim enough... will auto on. If not... will stay "off". The blinkers / horn operation runs separate from this.

Next the bad:

The number one reason I bought this unit was for the brake light operation. Unfortunately... the auto-brake light leaves a lot to be desired.

#1 It's not sensitive enough. No... I'm not kidding... there are 7 sensitivity settings and no matter setting 1 or 7 (or in between)... there were PLENTY of times I braked and nothing lit.

#2 When it does sense stopping... the reaction is delayed. I mean HUGE delayed. Like 1.5 to 2 seconds delayed. Do you know how much you can slow down in the first 1.5 to 2 seconds. Even when I attempted to manipulate it but slowly slowing down to give it time to light... sometimes it wouldn't ever light... killing the whole idea.

Basically... because of the braking light action... this unit is going back likely. I "am" going to do a little more testing. The unit is currently oriented on a slight upward angle (as that is how it would mount on back)... maybe 8 degree ish... maybe that's causing the issue? I'm going to try to get it oriented "flat"... if that's the issue I can easily modify the back mount.... but I suspect not.

It's a great unit aside from this tiny little problem. >sigh<

...and I was worried about it being TOO sensitive...
Looks like my idea with the switch in the brake lever is a bright one. (pun intended)

Having discussions with the seller. Evidently the "sensitivity" setting of the unit is for the alarm... not the brake. Chances are good that I will be sending this unit back. Also... I did move it to the back of the bike under the cargo rack. Back there... the horn isn't nearly as loud... the blinker sound is non-audable while riding... so yeah... right now the unit is only good for blinkers (at least there is a visual clue you turns the blinker on), horn (I'm guessing you can still hear it when you're away from the bike?) ... and alarm.

I'm TRYING to convince myself to keep it for the blinker/alarm function but I'm having a hard time doing so.

Having discussions with the seller. Evidently the "sensitivity" setting of the unit is for the alarm... not the brake. Chances are good that I will be sending this unit back. Also... I did move it to the back of the bike under the cargo rack. Back there... the horn isn't nearly as loud... the blinker sound is non-audable while riding... so yeah... right now the unit is only good for blinkers (at least there is a visual clue you turns the blinker on), horn (I'm guessing you can still hear it when you're away from the bike?) ... and alarm.

I'm TRYING to convince myself to keep it for the blinker/alarm function but I'm having a hard time doing so.
When you did the front mount, did you do it in a way the unit was still facing the rear? If you had it facing towards the front that may have effected the brake sensor in some way.

...and it's going back. I'm gunna build me a hard-wired brake lamp using a 12v auto LED brake lamp and a 12v drill battery + micro switch (or maybe a leaf-switch)... it'll be a winter project for the bike.

EDIT: BTW - I heard from the distributer... the sensitivity setting is for the ALARM ... not the brake lamp...

...and it's going back. I'm gunna build me a hard-wired brake lamp using a 12v auto LED brake lamp and a 12v drill battery + micro switch (or maybe a leaf-switch)... it'll be a winter project for the bike.

EDIT: BTW - I heard from the distributer... the sensitivity setting is for the ALARM ... not the brake lamp...
Seems the units are best suited for less dense traffic.

I started putting turn signals on the bike. I didn’t care for the commercial kits available so I decided to fab my own. The rear 2 are mounted…The metal gear clamps will probably be switched to heavy black nylon tywraps. This is a work in progress.

Next…the front two..then a flasher and power.

Attachments

• 3FD3DB3F-115A-4404-8B63-8C5BB573B7CA.jpeg
    3FD3DB3F-115A-4404-8B63-8C5BB573B7CA.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 7D149CAD-7449-4EC7-82A5-7A8E9168B481.jpeg
    7D149CAD-7449-4EC7-82A5-7A8E9168B481.jpeg
    72.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 5D78A868-D256-4141-AA7C-09A0129CF47C.jpeg
    5D78A868-D256-4141-AA7C-09A0129CF47C.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 92
I started putting turn signals on the bike. I didn’t care for the commercial kits available so I decided to fab my own. The rear 2 are mounted…The metal gear clamps will probably be switched to heavy black nylon tywraps. This is a work in progress.

Next…the front two..then a flasher and power.
NIce idea. How big (diameter) are the lights? Not sure if the space between them is enough for "signaling" ?

3/4" led in a piece of 3/4" pvc sch. 40.....a piece of wine cork for the back and sprayed flat black.

Back