Turnigy HXT Powered Custom Cruiser Worklog

****! Belts and pulleys are as easy to find as chains and sprockes maybe more so :-|

Speaking of belts and pulleys-->

Update

Bit of an overdue update, the hot weather and my legs have been an issue this last week
but i have managed to get a few bits done on the bike...

Yesterday mate took me to Fibreglass & Resin sales to pick up some industrial
grade epoxy (TechniglueCA...made by atlcomposites.com), this is the same
epoxy Matt .P (1000watt) used to apply teeth to the rear pulley on his cruiser
(seen several pages back in THIS worklog) The teeth are still going strong on
his pulley after many many kilometres, its such a trick way of adding teeth to a pulley i think and EASY!!

Adding_epoxy_teeth_series_pic1.jpg

Apologises no pics of the epoxy being applied i wasn't about to handle my good camera with hands layered with epoxy !

Procedure was to apply two coats of PVA release agent (as per used in fiberglass/resin work)
to the belt, (belt & pulleys circumference have been matched so belt when wrapped
around has exact spaced teeth
) The belt then received a layer of epoxy as did the pulley
the belt is then wrapped around the pulley and secured in place for the night with PVC tape.
(takes overnight i chose the 'slow' cure TechniglueCA)

Belt was removed this morning, at first it thought to myself "self...how the **** are you going to remove it!"
I slide an xacto knife through the join prised up the belt with a small flat screwdriver
enough to get a grip with my fingers then simply pulled the belt away ...it came away very very easily! the
release agent doing its job perfectly! As can be seen the result is excellent...

I am still awaiting delivery of the belt and larger pulley ordered for output of reduction drive last week
hoooopefully we will see these this week sometime along with my Lipos! Will have a
complete POWERED drive train then WOOOTz!!!

You may or may not get an update this afternoon see how things go.

KiM

Last edited:
That is a really nice how to AussieJester.
Any size driven pulley for a toothed belt.
Your source for belts ?

Yes it works very well and is soo simple to do, it has also proven very durable Matt.P just made a post on my ES worklog, he has calculated he has done 1000km's on the epoxy toothed pulley and reports it still looks as good as the day he done it!

The belts and pulleys we use were sourced from https://sdp-si.com/eStore/ They are 5mm pitch belts and pulleys, same as per Recumpence uses on all his reduction drives.
I have since found a local supplier to me that can get these items in at a slightly higher cost but i only need wait 2-3days not 1-2weeks ...

Cheers mate

KiM

EDIT: FYI...The ICE motor users after a cheap jack shaft (shift kit) would be doing yourselfs a favour bookmarking that above URL also, they sell sprockets chains bearings housings and shafts etc needed to construct your own at a fraction of the cost Sickbikes slug you for them...

Last edited:
Thought i would give members following this build a lil update to proceedings...

I have been waiting for components, batteries, electrics, pulley and belts to arrive in hence lack of updates
combined with my health and the weather i haven't been doing much to the bike.
Seems the first onslaught of the Summer weather has a detrimental effect on my leg spasms
and takes a week or so to settle..anywayz...batteries ...the tracking info indicates they are in Perth and out of customs-->
lipo_tracking.JPG

I expect delivery tomorrow or day after.

I also got word this morning from Matt.P (he gratuitously ordered the belts and pulleys for me as i lack a credit card for paying)
and advised me that the parts are here!! Matt is dropping them up tomorrow along with something else i have
bought from Matt...His ChoppersUS Springer Fork!!!!! It is not currently in use on the bike in pic (to my knowledge
the aluminium chopper no longer exists Matt?
) Some may recall i had this fork
up in my workshop when Matt first got it? I liked it the moment i saw it it is a very well crafted
unit, i will have to cut it down which wont be an issue as i would like to paint the fork tubes the colour of the frame
and leave the aluminium, sprngs and springer tubes as are. I will also need to find a new head tube
for my frame NO idea where i will get one but i'll make something work, as this fork is threadless
unit! More on that when i take delivery of the fork tomorrow.

Shall be back with another progress report tomorrow arvo fellas...

KiM

My turnigy packs arrived!!!

Lipo_series_pic_1.jpg

Two of them damaged GREAT work HobbyCity. And yes it WAS HobbyCitys fault, the carton the box came
in was un marked, the individual packs were packed well with inflatable packaging, the individual box
of the damaged pack(s) were both dented, and ripped...NOT Happy at all.

Pics of the most damaged pack-->

Damaged_lipo_pic1.jpg

Damaged_lipo_pic%202.jpg

If i wasnt enclosing them in fiberglass containing and charging them in it i would probably chance this one, by feel
it is dented in between the pouches, the second pack is definitely useable but im sending it back anywayz for replacement.

KiM

I am the proud new owner of a as new ChoppersUS Springer Fork!!!111oneone

::spins around in circles ::: WOooooHoooo-->

ChoppersUS_Springer_fork_series_pics.jpg

Matt also bought up the new pulleys and belt -->

New_Pulleys_belts.jpg

Big thanks to Matt for his assistance in obtaining these for me!
I need to drill the pulleys out, seeing Mr Recumpence SIR
uses imperial and Australia and my workshop is all metric
i dont have any 1/2in drill bits, closest i have is 12mm :-S
I have contacted a mate of mine he happens to have a set
of imperial drill bits he is popping over later today with
them so i should be able to have the drive train assembled tonight!!..

Thursday i shall pick up a meanwell PSU for charging the batteries so
i am ready to ROCK-n-ROLL when Mr GGoodrum's lvc boards arrive..!
I'll also grab a threadless headset from LBS mod the
head tube on the frame too suit :: fingers crossed::

Back soon folks..

KiM

have you cut the rim off the big pulley :geek:

This worklogs on 5 forums and your the only one thats spotted that keen eye mate ;-) Yes the sides are gone, bit of a story behind how/why it happened, basically the originally epoxy teeth seen few posts back were removed and re-done, initially i thought it was all done and dusted UNTIL i wrapped the belt around the entire pulley only to find the belt had separated eeeeever so slightly at the join, this obviously caused the teeth following this to be ~.025 of a millimetre out and thus not mesh with the belt. In removing the epoxy teeth i cracked a small section of the pulley sides when i had it clamped in the bench vice, i thought f**k it, ill take em off they aren't essential two of the other pulleys in the driveline have no sides, all they do is wear the belt sides, once the alignment is correct the belt stays put...

KiM

EDIT: p.s your name looks familiar you on Endles Sphere forum too are you?

Yes I'm awake teacher

I was surprised that they recommend clearance on the sides for these belts guess they line up from the parallel groves themselves

you on Endless Sphere forum too are you
Yep

Back