Turnigy HXT Powered Custom Cruiser Worklog

Update

Couple of pics of the pivot and actuator ...

stabiliser%20pivot%20pic.jpg

Decided the KISS approach was all i could be bothered doing ...hopefully work well enough :?

more later...

KiM

FrankG said:
Hey Kim,

Very nice progress on the cruiser...

The whole package is quite pro, from the hand-made frame thru the drive-train right up to the progress on the Linear actuators...

But if you could keep the weather-based commentary to a minimum, I for one would appreciate it... Hearing about 30C weather in October is just too much, especially on days when I roll out of bed to -5C and the threat of snow is hovering like that sword of Damacles

All the Best!!!

HAHA thanks Frank, did i mention it topped out at 37
today too LoL One of our hottest October days for awhile our summer doesn't officially
start till next month either Frank hehee cooler weather forecast
for tomorrow (~26 degrees) hope to get some more done in the afternoon..

Australian MOTOGP 8am tomorrow morning so i'll be glued
to the screen for the entirety of that broadcast if the weather
is bearable after that i will pop out into the workshop and
tack the stabilisers up and in place.

I didn't do alot more this afternoon retreated to the
comfort of the aircon not long after lunch.

I did cut some forks off a couple of old scooters i found during
a curbside scavenge, i will use these (albeit modified somewhat)
for the stabiliser set-up.

Stabiliser_fabrication_series_pic1b.jpg

Getting there slowly...

More soon..

KiM

Update

Lil more progress on the stabiliser setup...

Stabiliser_fabrication_series_pic1c.jpg

I didn't like the look of the standard scooter fork, the lil 'squirrelly' design in them didn't
look right to me so it was 're-shaped' more to my liking PLUS i saved a heap of weight :p.. Everything is
just tacked at this stage (i forgot to grab welding wire last week andfinally ran out...)
The tubes have been notched and the gap closed, this will be left as is until
i have the stabilisers permantly mounted in place, i will then make sure the wheel alignment
is spot on before welding the tubing...

This brings MoteredBikes up to speed with the build, i am in need of a roll of welding wire shall be heading out in an hour or so to grab that and then will finish the stabilisers up and mount them for a trial run with the actuator :) I don't envisage any more bans from here so i shall be able to keep updating the worklog in doing so hopefully some will be inspired to tackle their own full custom builds whether it be ICE or Electric...

KiM

Last edited:
Update

I went out this morning to pick up the welding wire (i forgot to buy last week)
so i could press on with stabilisers, not sure if i mentioned it here or not but i also
have another distraction going on? i have a large pergola that is 1/2 way
through getting re-painted, I am replacing some rotten wood and redoing the
shade cloth as the painter i have contracted paints the parts i can't reach so i
can't devote full time to this hence the minimal work done each update. When
done though it will triple the size of my workshop as it will be fully enclosed
so my CNC machine (in making..THX FrankG)
will now have a home maybe i can retire them trained bevers Other Doc :p

OK..that all said here's a few pics of where we are at with the cruiser/stabilisers...

Stabiliser_fabrication_series_pic1d.jpg

Before anyone asks, NO i have no idea if the 'width' will make it stable
enough its all guess work here, looking at the motorcycles DreamFit have
converted for paras the width of my stabilisers looks about right. Coincidently
i was contacted by the CEO of Dreamfit, Darren Lomman he would like to meet up for a 'chat' regarding
my project which i thought was fantastic he was Young Australian of the year
a few years back for his work his contribution to the disabled in particular his
para friendly motorcycle! Shall let all know how that goes still waiting on his
personal assistant to 'book in' a time, i advised to leave it to end of October till i had
some more progress on the cruiser to show Darren...think i'm nearly
there not far to go now, rear 3 speed is paid for and should be dispatched
in the next day or so i have everything else aside from lipos and charger,
I am putting $$ aside for 4 22v 5000mah packs and a charger (initially)
GGoodrum i'm eyeing those custom balancers of yours off to
expect an order coming your way in near future hehe..
will expand this too 8 packs for 44v 20ah at least...The first 4 packs
will get the bike rolling to make sure shes right before pulling it down
for powder coat and chrome guess i better add i have sketches for
mounts to add a second Outrunner ...shall keep that close to the chest
for now BUT LOOKOUT Luke ;-P

KiM

It looks like the project is going well. Lightening the seat pan makes it look a lot more "professional", and I think using a bushing at the seat pivot will help keep it from squeaking. Great work, as usual.

Stabiliser Setup Compleye (demo Video Included)

Update

Couple of hours was spent this afternoon mounting and finalising the linear actuators and stabiliser
setup, the first part was successfully done, finishing the stabilisers ...not quite, the forks still need to be welded but
that's a 3 minute job tomorrow :)

Few happy snaps of how it was done-->

Stabiliser_fabrication_series_pic1e.jpg

Please note:- That twittering/stutteringmotion when the actuator lifts the rear wheel
is NOT the actuator struggling! it was me tapping the wires on the battery terminals...

Take note Hal! I have reversed the forks around giving alot more clearance than in the position you
saw them in previous post, the travel distance is also reduced but still have adequate clearance
in the upright position :)

I have put together a quick video clip for you fellas to see how the actuators work, i am extremely
happy with the result they are plenty fast heaps powerful and make the bike rock solid stable for
me to transfer from my chair onto the bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOl6uoaIVBc&feature=player_embedded

Success! Thanks again to Matt for the kind donation of the actuator for this project i'm glad i could put
the actuator too good use once again :)

Back tomorrow with another update...

KiM

p.s first coat on my pergola is also finished i should of taken some snaps will do so tomorrow
to knackered to move atm LoL..

Wow, that's impressive.

I figured that you would have just used some manually activated lever to control the stabilizer, the use of an actual actuator is really nice.

You definitely are good at this stuff.

I did throw around the idea of manually operated stabiliser setup even sketched a design in the end though i thought the linear actuator was a better way too go, i can have a bar mounted switch so i can keep too hands on the grips at all times which is safer for me. Recumpence donated the actuator too me at no cost so i saved $US130 on buying one which was a HUGE bonus...(Thx Matt :) )

Couple more people have expressed 'concern' for the rigidity of the stabilisers
seeing i forgot to mention lengths and tube wall size i thought a quick pic and details were in order--.

Stabiliser_measurement.jpg

I EVEN measured in inches for you backward Americans hehee :p So we have ~9.5inches
from the cross bracing to the wheels, the tubing is solid too its 3mm wall thickness it aint bending in a hurry
guaranteed. Hope this makes things a lil clearer for those questioning the strength of the stabilisers :)

Off to start on the days work now be back later this arvo with an update.

KiM

Forward Bottom Bracket Mounted

Update

Knocked up some brackets for the mounting of the forward bottom bracket this afternoon, i have elongated the bottom hole so as the bracket
can be moved forward thus tightening the chain, i can now do away with any form of chain tensioner from crank to middle bottom bracket...-->

Forward_bottom_bracket.jpg

The bike is now "officially" a bicycle :p I need to get some chains to line everything up properly as such
i have only tacked the forward bottom bracket onto the brackets for the time being. I hopped on the bike
and tested the cranks for position they are just about perfect my legs are not quite fully extended when
they are at the furthest position and they miss the front wheel by miles :)

More soon

KiM

Last edited:
Back