Turnigy HXT Powered Custom Cruiser Worklog

file.php

With three large sized RC motors that bike is going to be extremely powerful.

Unless I have my numbers wrong that's going to be "about":

(3) RC Motors @ $150 each ($450)

(3) Controllers @ $100 each ($300)

...which should come to a total of "about" $750.

Did you get some special discount somehow?

Will actually only do the two Safe one thats in there now and the one behind the seat......and the controllers aren't 100 bucks mate im using HV110 Castle ESC not the cheapo Turnigy jobs...220 a pop U.S ;-) So be only $US150 plus $AU100 for new bearings for motor (although the latest Turnigy 130kvs have upgraded the bearings in size so it might not be necessary.) And $US220 for the controller (actually lil less from Matt i think i believe he sells them for wholesale price.) Will be no 'special deals' for the purchase of the additional motors Safe....well...not unless i win a comp with them on offer LoL I miiiight have another Recumpence reduction drive heading my way though, remember Deecano from ES? He miiight be getting rid of his and i have first dibs on it if he does :) Is a one off Matt.S did with Eno freewheel inside the large pulley on it also anodised Black, if i get it it will gotto my other mate Matt.P (1000watt) for his new mountain bike project...

KiM

Crusiers Weight

Apologies fellas i have nothing to report as far as updates other than the second coat on my pergola is complete,
when 1pm clocked around it was gettin lil warm in the sun and the arms were stinging so i decided to head
in and "take the day" off as far as fabrication on the bike goes.

The lads came around for the usual Friday night catch up over a few ales tonight, so as promised etard i had one of the buds pick
up the frame and step on the scales... my estimate was pretty **** close it weighs in at 28 kilo (~61 pound) with everything on it (beside batteries and electrics of course ) so it will come in fully built with batteries (44v 20ah) under 40 kilo (~88 pound) i think.

I have a far bit on this weekend Bar-b-q/ Parte' tomorrow at mates place and BIG Car show (Ford Day 400 cars) to attend Sunday so unlikely will be another update till early next next week, i have the three speed Sturmey due early in the week so will be seeing rear weel laced and drive train assembled along with front and rear disk brake mounts fabbed and mounted and te start on the ali/carbon fiber vented and scooped battery enclosure.....have a ripper weekend chaps..

KiM

Update

Not so much an update today more of a modification to the seat pivot.

I wasn't happy with the flush finish of the steel tube and wanted to copy the
method used on the stabiliser pivot where by i left steel tube protruding
out of the hole rather than cutting it and grinding it flush to the frames
top tube, left as it was would have seen paint scrape and chip as the
seat pivoted, so i have added two pieces of tube to prevent this from happening-->

Seat_pivot_mod_pic.jpg

The seat is now SUPER stable too, it had a slight wobble in it before
as i had the holes on the seat pan tabs too large, i filled these with weld
and re-sized them BOY what a drama, after i circled the hole with the
MIG twice i dunked it straight into too water YUP made it extremely hard and
of course the drill would make a ****ing dent in it so i had to die grind
for an hour re-sizing them grrr, all good in the end perfect fit no slop stable seat :)

I expected the Extra Wide Sturmey Archer 3 speed to arrive today as well
as it cleared Australian Customs last Friday, as a rule i get deliveries the following day,
i gather there was a large lot of freight going out after the weekend and it will be delivered tomorrow.

Back soon ...

KiM

Few pics of the Extra Wide Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub that arrived from ChoppersUS today

Extra%20Wide%203%20Speed%20Sturmey%20Archer.jpg

Slight modification will be required to gain some clearance for the pulley on the right of the hub and for the
free wheel sprocket that is to be installed on a custom adapter on the left of the hub. I shall cut
an equal section from the inner chain stays and plate it, remembering the chain stay tubes have a 3mm wall thickness
structural strength will still be more than adequate.

Today i made 7 brackets up i messed up 4 and had to redo the
bloody things grrrr, all good in the end decided on 3 brackets in the
end rather than the proposed 4 the rough sketch depicts.

Planned%20Battery%20Enclosure.JPG

The pic above shows the area on the bike the planned battery
enclosure will populate, it will be constructed
of aluminium plate for the floor,front and rear panels and top of the enclosure, fiberglass
side panels that will feature side scoopes and flutes to provide
excellent air flow through the enclosure too help keep the the electronics and Lipos cool ;-)
I was also thinking i could add a pc fan or two to keep the air circulating in the enclosure...
might be cool feature to have, fans thermostatically controlled from a sensor on the ESC
.....thoughts?

For these fibreglass sides, for the pure 'bling bling' off it i was thinking
of laying down 2-3 layers of carbon fibre sheet before laying fibre glass sheets.
Ill probably end up wanting to paint the sides panels though so the whole process
would be a huge expense for nothing, perhaps a nice custom airbrushed graphic that incorporates
the carbon fibre in its design, maybe a ripped and tattered Aussie Flag with ripped grafix on
it showing the carbon fibre in the areas the flags has tears and rips..hrrmmmz...decisions decisions.

3 brackets
too allow for mounting of enclosure.

Couple of pics of the brackets i knocked up , shall weld these in place tomorrow

Battery%20Encloserue%20brackets.jpg

Note too the slightly shorter stabiliser, i have cut the scooterfork tube down as was planned and spot welded them in place
i will fully weld them when i break the bike down
[/i].

I have a roll of thick cardboard i bought from the news agent to make a
pattern of the planned floor sides and top, it will require to have a few cut outs as
on the left floor and rear side panel to allow the actuator pivot to swing,

I found good use for the brushes of an old 350 Watt Unite electric motor i found
kerbside-->

brushes.jpg

my grinder died yesterday brushes the cause, i whipped out the die grinder
cut the Unite brush down and slipped it into the Metabo grinder, she lives again **** fine grinders these too fellas, good news is i have 10 more unite brushes i can use for it
im good too go for many years LoL...

Back tomorrow with more progress on the battery enclosure...

KiM

Last edited:
You may need to edit you last post and put all of the pics on different lines.

How are you cutting the round holes in stuff? Looks like a mighty accurate job.

I mark it with pen/pencil then cut a 'V' in the center of the marked semi circle
with cut off disk on the angle grinder, swap too grinding disk to remove the bulk of the
remaining material before cleaning it up with air die grinder, check pic 3 of the bracket series pic
you can see the bit in the die grinder that i used...tiz all freehand matey...

KiMt

Back