Two speed Dax Titan ?

D

duivendyk

Reading about the 50 cc Dax Titan with the jack shaft intermediate drive, it struck me that this type of setup lends it self to incorporating two speed drive without too much of a hassle.This is how it would work:
Equip the engine's PTO with two sprockets, say 10 and 12T, on the jack shaft have a complementary setup,that is 12 and 10T,that gives a range of 10/12 to 12/10 or 1.44. overall depending on which set is selected.Because of the complementary sizes the chains will be of EQUAL lenghts,otherwise you would be sure to get in trouble with the chains.The jack shaft sprockets are rotating freely on the jack shaft but can be engaged by a dog clutch splined to the shaft,which can engage either one or the other.
Since the primary sprockets would be sitting side by side on the PTO shaft there may not be adequate room for this clutch on the jack shaft.The way around this is to make the larger size receiving sprocket a freewheel sprocket.It would be keyed to the jack shaft and the outer, smaller one engaged by the dog clutch gear shift.Now there is plenty of room for the clutch.In high gear the larger sprocket just free wheels along.The final drive ratio would have to be adjusted to either increase top speed,or more likely to get some extra low-end grunt.Different sprocket combinations could be used of course,but the ratios get quickly out of hand,for instance 13T/10T gives a 1.69 overall ratio.This arrangement looks like a winner to me and is not all that hard to complement the Titan drive setup with.

Yes I've been thinking stuff like this up too.......I like your idea.
It definitely has merit.

You can run into some issues with state law. Some require a motorixed bicycle have only one gear. This could put it into the Moped catagory.

Legal, smegal, who's gonna know. I'm not legal now and neither are most of you. I can't be legal because Al doesn't recognize the existence of a MB, not a problem so far. Past 4 Birmingham PD's on a 4 lane highway this morning, it's like I don't even exist.

Keep your fingers crossed,you don't want to attract untoward attention from the constabulary but also like to be noticed by motorists,not easy to pull off.Keeping the decibels down should help,too many loud MB's tearing around and the cops will start cracking down,good luck,JJ

Back