Two speed Staton

Late breaking news. It's best to use one continuous chain and make sure the dérailleur is well oiled. The master links can hang and create mischief, so use a chain breaker to shorten and reassemble the chain.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been kinda thinking about the chain set up and wondered if you had any complete derailments or worse...... lockups?
Tomorrow I hope to get my adapter/dual gear setup installed and in the next couple days start fabricating the tensioner and derailer assembly.
How much slack in the chain/tensioner is needed for a smooth shift?

Dérailleur was stiff, no oil. Left the chain in the middle of the street, car ran over it but it's back in business again. Ah, slack, enough to get the chain off the 16 tooth. Set the dérailleur limiters to prevent the chain from going where you don't want it to go and make sure it's not dragging the chain except when shifting.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I ordered my gearbox from staton I had little faith in the tiny weed eater style motor pulling me at all so I originally installed a 10t top sprocket which gives me tremendous hill power but my cruise was 20/22mph at 3/4 throttle and though way better than my average 12mph unassisted pedaling..... not really satisfying because my motor was near max all the time.....

Man-o-man! I installed the 17t on the adapter and then installed that on my staton gear box lengthened my chain...snugged up my chain and rode it home from my shop.

Tonight I enjoyed effortless 35mph at just over half throttle on the county road and in the neighborhoods 25mph at 1/4 throttle my motor sounded happy back there WAY below it's max range.

Of course now my low end is gone but tomorrow I will start the tensioner and derailer assembly then I will have the perfect setup for town and country!

If you've got flat roads the 17 will be much better. You will lose a little at the bottom but the cruise is worth it.

We are 50/50 here ...steep hills/flat ground that's why your Hi/Lo setup appealed to me immediately.
The 17t alone isn't too bad on the hills but the 10t I've been running is pedal free straight up most local hills.
I'm very impressed with my 1.6hp powerplant too....whodathunkit.
However... I have been looking at some more powerful units...I mean the 2 speed set up is illegal around here w/ a 2hp max to boot so "blatant disregard" is just 2 additional hp away!
I think I do it!

Kerf, I have been thinking about doing something similar to your idea. I don't think I will be going with a deralleur just yet, as I think that I will mostly use the cruise unless I want to do some mountain riding. For now, i don't mind backing up and moving the chain manually.

I do have some questions about your tensioner though. It looks like you are using some kind of neoprene skateboard wheel sort of thing for your tensioner rollers. Why not put sprockets there? Also, what is the tensioner pivoting on? Does the pivot use a bearing of some sort? I have been using a GEBE system and the tensioner really does not actuate all that well because it is rotating directly on the bolt threads...

I looked through the thread, but I apologize if you already answered these questions. I also have not yet ordered my Staton kit, so if you have any pointers, that would be great!

Back