Two stroke bicycle engine bucking bar clutch problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

willdoucette

Local time
4:28 AM
I got a two stroke bicycle engine kit a few weeks ago, put it together properly(or i thought i did, its my first kit), and when i finished my only problem was a couldn't put the drive chain cover back on properly because the bucking bar was sticking out too far! I researched about it and all i could find was mostly just adjusting the flower nut on the other side, which did nothing, so eventually i took everything i could off the engine around the clutch to try and get to the clutch itself to try and find the issue. I have now taken off the drive chain sprocket and nut, and on the other side, the flower nut and clutch plate/nut.(my terminology may be wrong, sorry about that if it is). I now cannot get off the clutch bevel wheel assembly, even with the special tool made for it, because it seems to be stuck on their too tight. All i really need is help with getting the bucking bar to not stick out too far. Also, i have not even been able to ride the bicycle yet, so nothing could've happened while i was riding.
Any help is very appreciated, thanks.

Try taking out the bar and use a magnet to get the ball out, there has been reports of two ball bearings, there should only be one. You are compressing a very large spring, you may need longer bolts to pull the cover down tight then put in the correct bolts one at a time.

Attachments

• engine-0002.jpg
    engine-0002.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 733
check your spring could be too tight

Last edited:
Only one ball bearing, just checked. Also, I know the bolts are long enough because I can put them in about half way and then they get too tight I can’t turn them any farther in. I also cannot get to the spring to check if it’s too tight because the clutch bevel wheel assembly thing (the big gear opposite the drive chain) is stuck on too tight and I can’t get it off. Any ideas how I can get leverage to get that gear off without grabbing the clutch bolt on the other side because that strips the bolt. (Yes I’m using the special tool I just can’t turn the threaded bolt in the special sprocket removal tool far enough to get the big gear off)
Thanks again

Tighten the gear side nut back down. It may pull the clutch shaft over.

Tightened the nut, nothin seemed to happen, here are some pictures of what’s going on
This is as far on as the cover will go

Start all three bolts in the cover and snug them down, then put washers on the clutch shaft and tighten a nut down to compress the clutch spring. As you compress the spring the three bolts on the cover will tighten up. When the clutch plate and flower nut are in place the spring inside is compressed just enough to get the sprocket cover on. Put a little grease on the end of the bar before you close it up.

Last edited:
The bar, ball and thread shaft all move inside the clutch shaft.

Attachments

• Countershaft.jpg
    Countershaft.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 345
You could shave the bucking bar if need be on a grinder if all else fails

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back