Two things you don't need on your 2 stroke.

THe HT kits aren't worth spending $$ to line the fuel tank. I'm for cheap and a 2.99 filter works just fine with me as long as I ensure the tank is full of fuel, it won't rust :)

BTW, if you insist on lining your tank, save some $$ and use phosphoric acid in the form of tile/grout cleaner from Home Despot. It is the same as Yamaha fuel tank cleaner but cheaper.

BTW, I agree Nikasil is a great and last forever! Chrome is pretty durable too and ABC lined cylinders (aluminum brass chrome) in a ringless 2 stroke model rc engine seem to last forever as long as the engines are run hard and not allowed to idle forever or run at low throttle settings.

Take your pick,lean conditions due to fuel starvation can be a killer,whatever the cause, without a filter in the fuel line the carb is more likely to get clogged up.These little engines are run pretty hard and without forced cooling prone to overheat.The best thing is to run them on the rich side.The Coleman filter funnel is a good idea.

Personal preference...i'll stick with my inline filters & steel sleeves,but by all means u go ahead & run what ya want.

I use an inline filter on my MB, I removed the one from the petcock. I also ride a '77 Husqvarna dirt bike, and I wouldn't dream of running that thing without it's inline fuel filter - the tank is only 3 decades old, and Bing 54 carburetor parts aren't exactly common. Nor are pistons (Wiseco - $165) or rings. After you've had to fabricate parts for something because the guys at the motorcycle shop said the right thing didn't exist, you start taking some precautions.

-Mark

IMHO a lot depends on application of the engine.

Where you can get inexpensive replacement parts that don't get performance modifications, using the chrome bore cylinder is probably the way to go.

On racing RC boat engines the cylinders are highly modified, a complete engine with carb minus mounts and exhaust runs $600 for a modified $200 engine.To rebuild it, it costs nearly as much.(over $450) Because the cylinder has to be replaced and ported.
The steel sleeve favorite among the rc boat racers has even greater performance than the chrome bore engine and only costs $125 to rebuild.
Because the parts are manufactured to the same specifications the power is nearly identical to the original, where as the hand ported cylinders vary from engine to engine by a noticable degree.

As a note on filters, if the engine you are running uses a Walbro diaphragm carb is has a very fine screen in the inlet, using and inline filter will help avoid having to pull carb off engine and take it apart to clean the screen when it gets clogged.

Like Tinker1980 I have a couple of vintage dirtbikes, clean fuel and clean air are a must.

If you're not sure that the gasoline is clean, get a funnel with a filter, or place a coffee filter in your funnel and filter it as you pour it into the tank. Also, Coleman has a small funnel with a reusable filter for their gasoline lanterns and stoves.

Ha, coffee filter...why didn't I think of that!!! Great tip

It does get me thinking. Would two stroke oil mixed in with your gas clog up some filters enough as to where just the gas passes and less than the desired amount of oil?
A lot of us buy automotive filters that are designed for 4 stroke engines and not necessarily designed for 2 stroke oil.
If I remember right back when I was tinkering with Diesel engines there are fuel filters out there that are designed for gasoline but NOT for diesel fuel because when it gets below freezing it can actually clog some filters. They made different filters for those.
I'm thinking especially with our cold weather could we in fact be starving our engines of oil when we pass it thru our filters?
Maybe we need to look into inline filters designed for diesel fuel. Of make sure our tanks are absolutely clean and pass our gas thru coffee filters that won't deteriorate with gas.
I love threads that get me thinking!

Last edited by a moderator:
Got me thinking too...Of the many motorcycles I've owned, 2 stroke and 4 stroke....NO fuel filters!...Just screen on peticock in tank and in bowl on peticock??????.......Hummmmmmm.....POPS

So maybe just a fine METAL screen to trap particles that may clog the carby.

Large...I would tend to agree with you...Maybe something like Pablos (SBP) filter and I also agree with you about a paper filter filtering out oil!!!! Never thought about that but I believe it has a lot of merrit!!!! Look at a used auto oil filter... Any oil in there!!! Good thinkin Large...POPS

Back