Typical Easily made motor bike

Ok yeah I was thinking that thats prolly too heavy. I looked on ebay and I found 2 chainsaw engines that we could use. They are craftsman and they're 42cc do you guys think that would be better? Think we could still get to 30mph atleast? Thanks for your help

I would recommend a multispeed bike if you are riding off road, as that will make your single speed motor more fun at the top end of the motor range, where you will want to shift into high gear on your bicicle to assist the motor in getting up to its max rpm's and your total max speed. otherwise, your motor which may be capable of 7800 rpms will only get up to 6K or so without pedal assist to overcome your rear wheel enertia. By the way, do you know how fast 40mph off road on a mountail bike is? its fast.

in regards to your other question abou the mount. If your friends dad can fab a center mount that would be the way to go. and its nice to have the motor in the center of the frame for handling.

Do you guys think a 37cc chainsaw engine would give enough power with a chain driven system to go 35mph? Or should I look for a 40cc?

:cool:it's hard to say if 37cc will push you to 35mph. variables like engine hp, your and your bike's weight, type of drive(friction, chain, drive ring, gear-chain),sprocket size/gear ratio, rear wheel diameter, etc.
FWIW, 35mph on a mountain bike might be safe, while 35mph on a 20" folding bike might be VERY unstable.

Ok guys I got my bike and I got a 40cc chainsaw engine. Now I just need to find a clutch to use. What number chain size do bikes use? Someone told me they use #40/41. So should I get that? And also does anyone know what size the shaft of a chainsaw is 5/8" or 3/4"?

:cool:MrSteve, buy yourself some calipers. they're reasonable, versatile, and you'll be using it for the rest of your life. then measure the shaft.
do your research homework. measure where the clutch will reside, with your new calipers. you probably need a 76mm clutch, but don't take my word for it. before you buy parts, send us pictures of bike and engine arrangement. make friends with your favorite local bike shops, motorcycle shops and small engine repair shops. you'll probably be visiting them often.

:cool:before you choose the chain size, ya need to choose the correct size sprockets.

Yeah I know if you read my post I asked if anyone knew what size chains do bikes use, so that way I can get a clutch with a sprocket that will fit the chain and sprocket that is on the bike now. I just don't know what # chain size the bike uses. #35 #40 or #41. Is there any way to tell?

Back