Typical ring end gap

6blueoval9

Local time
2:53 AM
Can anyone give me some numbers on a typical ring end gap on these 66/80 motors?

numbers are all over the place with these (twice, I had to file a bit off just to have a gap) : (

I was under the impression they were typically too large of a gap... I would love to be able to file fit a ring if at all possible.

What's the gap supposed to be?
I barely got mine in the cylinder. Not just due to my inexperience. There was some swearing. :oops:
Now I'm worrying about not having a rig gap! :(

I barely got mine in the cylinder. Not just due to my inexperience. There was some swearing. :oops:
Probably don't sweat it, I've sworn and cursed at getting the rings in not even a month ago and I've done it a lot.. Sometimes you just have a bad day and other times not so bad, if I can help it I try to install the piston with the ring gaps at one of the 2 transfers gap in the extended part of the cylinder since I can get my fingers in the area. This is before putting the cylinder over the headbolts and before putting the wrist pin in. If you are doing it with the piston on the crank expect a little more trouble especially with bolts in the way. They have an angled lip on the end of the cylinder that sticks out from the base, the only good way to keep rings in is with your thumbnails unless it's a very smooth cut on the angle and can do the squeezing a bit by pushing the piston in. It's a delicate annoying process.

the general rule is 4 thou per inch of bore diameter, so for a 47mm bore you want to be somewhere between 7 and 8 thou

Yea, Wiesco recommends 4 to 5 depending on usage.

Ill see what it ends up stock then find some possible file fit replacements.

Thanks everyone.

Thanks everyone.
I dont think you will have much luck finding a file fit replacement as the china girl's rings are quite deep and tall.The gap lately has improved from being to big to being in the .020-.030 range when checked with a feeler gauge inserted in the gap with just the ring in the jug witch is perfectly acceptable.

I dont think you will have much luck finding a file fit replacement as the china girl's rings are quite deep and tall.The gap lately has improved from being to big to being in the .020-.030 range when checked with a feeler gauge inserted in the gap with just the ring in the jug witch is perfectly acceptable.

Acceptable is ok but id rather know i covered all the potentials to make it better.

Im a bit OCD with motors lol

Thanks everyone.
4 to 5 per inch is plenty good, only caveat to the rule is in the case of power adders. the only reason the nitrous kits available for China girls don't blow them right away is because the end gaps are so huge.

Back