Engine Trouble Uh Oh!!!

SRPM

Local time
2:08 AM
Removed my head today cuz I heard a noise and found this pitting. Any ideas couldn't find anything in the combustion chamber.

Attachments

• 20150527_191927.jpg
    20150527_191927.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 357
  • 20150527_191959.jpg
    20150527_191959.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
maybe it was like that new.
looks like ding marks instead of pitting. are marks on the piston also?

little round marks like that are almost always caused by bottom end needles coming out - stop running it & use the good parts as spares for your new motor

EDIT: disregard this if that head came off a different motor at some point

No was not like that new. This is very recent. It looks like pitting and dings. Almost looks like the metal was bubbling. Yes piston too but it looks more like dings on it.
Bottom end bearings? The ones connecting piston and connecting rod at bottom, cuz I check and there's no play or anything. Or the bearings on the shaft for the magneto and spline gear?

both the big end of rod & small end use tiny roller bearings - the rollers for these look like small needles & come out pretty often

when they start coming out, the engine is no good anymore - running it again will leave you with a lot of broken stuff that is unusable - stopping now may save the piston & cylinder for use as spares

Yah I saw and have heard that. So that was the first thing I checked but nothing seems bad, no play in it or anything and also couldn't find any other signs that would point to that. Also wouldn't I be able to locate the pin that came out or would it hide out in the ports or something?

Oh wouldn't there be pitting all over the combustion camber instead of just in that one area if that were the case too? And recommendations on replacement engine, maybe something with better build quality etc. etc. And not too expensive. This is my only transportation at the moment.

Is this what I need to fix it do I need less or more? Are those the right bearings for the crankshaft the one connecting to the magneto and spline gear and are those the correct seals. Please let me know soon so I can order. Thank in advance.

Attachments

• 2015-05-28-15-30-02.jpg
    2015-05-28-15-30-02.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 154
it could have gone out the exhaust - also, it could have been an extra that fell in at the factory

not all that hard to take out the piston & check the top of the rod to see if one is missing (hard to tell from the pic, but top rollers are smaller than bottom & the pits look small)

once apart, you may be able to tell if ALL pieces are gone (these sometimes get cut in half by piston passing a port) and whether you want to fix it a bit & try again

you won't know what's needed till it comes apart - few folks are up to the job of replacing a rod, so many just buy the whole crank

you may not need main bearings until you look at them, also, there are diff types of main bearings

Back