Ultimate Hub for Direct Sprocket Bolt Up

My kit didn't include anything like that. All i got was the 9 hole plate/washer/nylon/bolt assembly for mounting the sprocket to the spokes. I could get of those one and try it out I guess. If i can get a freewheel assembly to mount the sprocket to I can still use the lifetime guarantee Staton gear box and trash the crappy one I have now. At least I think I can. I emailed Staton to make sure it would work with the Hua Sheng clone like it does for the Honda GX50. It's not the NuVinci but at least its something better than what I have. Thanks for the heads up, Myron. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
:cool:You're welcome, Vy. it just popped into my head.

HOWEVER, the 44t-48t will NOT work with the STATON gearbox. Why? It won't work because the STATON gearbox has an 18.75:1 gear reduction, as opposed to happy time engine's 4.1:1 gear reduction.

the STATON gearbox needs to be used in conjunction with the STATON rear hub. Then their 16t left-side freewheel sprocket will bolt onto their hub.

final gear ratio will be as follows: 16t rear sprocket divided by 18t drive sprocket = .8889. Multiply gearbox ratio of 18.75 by .8889 = 16.667 final drive.

to compare with happy time engine gearing, divide 16.667 by 4.10, which is happy time gear reduction at its drive sprocket. your quotient is 40.65:1, or 10t drive sprocket and 41t driven sprocket at rear wheel.

if you use the STATON gear box with a 44t rear sprocket, final gear ratio is 45.833:1, equivalent to happy time engine and 112-tooth rear sprocket!:eek:

Myron

Oh dang... ok all this gear ratio business is new to me. I'm glad there are smarter folk than I on here to tell me this stuff, lol. So If I want to use the Staton gear box I will use their freewheel hub. Cool beans, that's easy enough. Only issue now is can I attach my standard cassette to the right side of the Staton hub? Anyone know?

:cool:Vy, if it's screw-on type, yes.

to simplify removal/reinstall, Dave Staton built a wheel for me, using his HD hub, 16t left sprocket and 7-speed Shimano gears for my DAHON bike. he installed 14g spokes on my 20" rim, since he does not offer 12g on 20" rims.(he does offer 12g on 26" rims.)

i have not had a bending or breaking problem with his 14g spokes.

when i move the gearbox to my 26" BIKE, I will ask Dave to build a rim for me.

Myron

Oh dang... ok all this gear ratio business is new to me. I'm glad there are smarter folk than I on here to tell me this stuff, lol. So If I want to use the Staton gear box I will use their freewheel hub. Cool beans, that's easy enough. Only issue now is can I attach my standard cassette to the right side of the Staton hub? Anyone know?

The Staton hub is killer good with FOUR sealed bearings. I used one for my GEBE build and would use another in a fast second! The left side of the hub is left hand thread for the freewheeling DRIVEN sprocket that a Staton system uses and is offered with different numbers of teeth. The right side is a right hand thread for a freewheel gear cluster. This hub WILL NOT accept a cassette. This hub requiors this(or one like it) freewheel http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=2485

NOTE: Freewheels max out at 7 speeds. Cassettes go up to 9 iirc.

NOTE: All spokes used in lacing a Staton hub to the rim are of the same length because of the off-set of the left flang. This is a very good thing because all spokes will be tensioned the same and all will bear the load of road impacts. If you do not understand this point ask whoever laces this hub into your rim as to the why of it. Or Google Sheldon Brown wheel building.

NOTE: Freewheels take a different tool for removal than cassettes. It costs about $6.

Thanks Pete! Ok you guys are really helping me build my shopping list... And I am learning a great deal in the process. I would have wasted a great deal of time and money if not for you guys. I am so glad for this forum. :)

:cool:Vy, if you wait for your replacement gearbox, you end up spending...

nothing.

Myron

Ya ya you're right. But I frankly am thinking of a replacement for the replacement when it fails. I have not heard good things about the longevity of those things. All of this stuff I am trying to sort out is for another bike in the future. For me, these bikes are a long term transportation solution...not just a hobby. I will always have my current bike as a backup. Including the replacement gear box that should arrive next week. But eventually I want to build a bike with quality components that won't die on me so quickly. :)

HI All,

FWIW I will be getting disc brake hub sent to me from alesterfeind and will be making a prototype sprocket to bolt in place of the disc (benefits include reduced/no spoke breakage, perfectly centered sprockets (no wobble / run true), easy/fast to change sprockets) .....we'll see how this set up works in place of the Grubee hub and the standard 9 bolt mount....Stay tuned....and thanks to alesterfeind for helping us get started on an alternate method of mounting the sprockets...
Andrew

VERY IMPORTANT PLEASE NOTE!!

Freewheels are avalible with 8 cogs but Sheldon Brown does NOT recommend them because the last cog is well off the freewheel's rachet assembly center line and places un-due stress upon it.

I was called out via PM for stating that freewheels were only offered as 7 cogs at max, when in fact I knew this to not be true. 8 cog freewheels are for light pedalers at best...OK. Are you happy now PMing guy!

Back