Ultimate Hub for Direct Sprocket Bolt Up

8-speed freewheels & Staton Hub

I am the person who PM'd oldpete and irratated him by pointing out that I felt he was passing on bad information about 8-speed freewheels. He responded to me in both a PM and with the post above. Despite his corrective notes posted above I still believe he his passing along bad information. Back in the middle 90's when I was building wheels for my customers that used 8-speed freewheels we never had a problem with a single 8-speed freewheel. Where the problem arose with this combination was with the hub axle. When you extended the spacing on the right side of the hub so the freewheel would clear the chainstay it was more than the traditional 10mm axles could handle and the axles would bend under heavy use. Pete states that Sheldon Brown says on his website that there was some kind of a design problem with the freewheels to do with the outside cog being to far from the ratcheting mech. I went to the Sheldon Brown website and did not find anything that was even close to the statment that pete attributed to Sheldon, about a design flaw with 8-speed freewheels. I'm not saying that the statement isn't there, just that I could not find it. Perhaps pete could provide us with a link to the page. What I did find at the Sheldon Brown pages on freewheels were several mentions of the fact that 8-speed freewheels weren't recommended due to the problem of "bent/broken axles"

Another bit of inaccurate information that Pete continues to put out has to do with the Staton-Inc Heavy Duty Rear Hub and weather or not it builds up as a Dishless rear wheel. Let me be very clear here, IT DOES NOT! Lets look at he hub in question, http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=2770 For a hub to build into a wheel that is dishless the center point of the hub (the point on the hub where the center plane of the bicycle would pass thru the hub) has to be equal distance to the hub flanges. All you need do is look at the photo at the link above to see that this is not the case for this hub. I originally pointed this out to the forum back at the end of August in a thread called Breaking Spoke Blues
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=6497&page=4
pete got irratated then too but when I responded he backed off a bit and ony continued to say that he built his wheel using the same length spokes on both sides. When building a wheel the wheel builder needs to know or have at hand several mearurements of both the hub and rim he he/she is using to calculate the proper spoke length. The measurements needed are as follows 1) # of spokes 2) ERD external rim diameter in mm 3) Hub Flange Dia. left 4) Center of Hub to Flange left 5) Hub Flange Dia. right 6) Center of Hub to Flange right 7) Spoke hole dia. & finally 8) # of Cross
Lets compare two hubs: The Staton HD and the Shimano 525 Disc that that is also discussed in this thread.
Staton Hub: Flange dia. 52mm
C to F Left 38mm
C to F Right 19mm
Shimano 525 Disc: Flange dia. 45mm
C to F Left 37mm
C to F Right 24.7mm
If you run these numbers thru any spoke calculator of your choice with your choice of rim (no spoke hole offset) any # of cross you choose you will get a spoke lengh difference of 2mm +- a tenth of a mm. Could you build either of these with spokes of equal length both sides YES you could SHOULD you build either of these with spokes of equal lengh both sides NO. Not if what you are looking to acheieve is the strongest wheel possible. Now pete will probably respond the the folks at Staton-Inc build their wheels with spokes of one length and this would in fact be a true statment, they do build their wheels with one length spoke. I say thay would be providing a much better wheel if they did not. And what I find really curious back On July 19th of this year oldpete indicated that he too built his wheel with spokes of 2mm different length. http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=5155

I think I have said enough on this matter people here can make their own informed decisions

ocscully

Last edited:
pete got irratated then too but when I responded he backed off a bit and ony continued to say that he built his wheel using the same length spokes on both sides.

I think I have said enough on this matter people here can make their own informed decisions

ocscully

LOL! Sure you can build the wheels with the same length spokes...you'll just have a really funny looking wheel or, if it's dished properly, flat tires from the spokes poking into the tube.

Ok I am (was?) planning on buying a staton wheel. Do I need to rethink that and just buy the hub and have it laced up locally? I am a bike novice and am not familiar with this dishing and such terminology. Will the dishless wheel with same length spokes cause any problems? Plz advise...

Ok I am (was?) planning on buying a staton wheel. Do I need to rethink that and just buy the hub and have it laced up locally? I am a bike novice and am not familiar with this dishing and such terminology. Will the dishless wheel with same length spokes cause any problems? Plz advise...

There are good and valid reasons for buying and using the Staton hub. the first one I believe would be that if you are using the Staton chain drive system eg. their gear box it is a perfect compliment to that set up. Second would be if what you are looking for is a way to have a freewheeling motor driven sprocket. As for the dish issue I can see that you still don't quite grasp the concept. With the staton hub as you buy it from staton it will not produce a dishless wheel. To make it dishless you would need to add 19mm-20mm of spacer washers to the left side only and then spread the rear dropouts of your frame set. You can do the same thing to just about any rear hub. The amount of spacer will vary depending upon what hub you are using and for most hubs if you are going to extend the spacing you will also need a longer axle. As spoked wheels go wheels without dish are a good thing, but they are not necessary. In fact by extending the spacing on a staton hub as I just described may create more problems than it solves, eg. proper chain alignment with the gearbox. So each bike set up has to be looked at for pluses and minuses. There is no pat answer to your question. I have no first hand experience with the staton wheels but when I spoke with Dave Staton on the phone yesterday morning he indicated that they have had no complaints from their customers about his wheels, in fact just the opposite is true, that pretty much every one that buys them is very happy and feel that they solve their problems. I have no reason to doubt his word.
As I pointed out in my previous post they are not built the way I would build a wheel for one of my customers but they are also quite a bit less money than I would charge some one to build the same wheel.

Just one other thought on on dishless wheels. While it is true that almost all dishless wheels will have the same length spokes on both left and right sides, not all wheels built with equal length spokes are dishless. What makes a wheel dishless is the fact that the hub flanges are equal distance from the center of the hub.

ocscully

Last edited:
"I spoke with Dave Staton, regarding a 36 freewheel sprocket for left-side. he knows of none available, but said that his 16t could be drilled to bolt the 36t on to."

"I also ordered a HD hub from bicycle-engines.com. they referred me to their sub, who will drill a 36t sprocket to mount onto a freewheel hub."

Myron[/QUOTE]

I ordered a 16t from STATON. Alas, there is no way to drill it to mount a 36t sprocket. I need to return it.

The subcontractor recommended by bicycle-engines.com was unable to adapt the 36t sprocket to the left-side freewheel. He offered to refund my $50 deposit, which I accepted.

The "sub" was the same guy you all love to hate, and had been permanently banned from this site. He and I have Hawaii ties, so we had a congenial bond.

Just thought I'd let you know who the vendor's "go to" guy is, if it'd make a difference.

I had no problem with him.

Myron

Has anyone tried this clam shell sprocket mount hub from Live fast motors. It looks interesting

Attachments

• clamshell2.jpg
    clamshell2.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 298
Has anyone tried this clam shell sprocket mount hub from Live fast motors. It looks interesting

i talked to them on the phone a few months ago and he had said watch for it and it would be phenominal. will be intresting to hear if any one uses it and some reports back on it

Back