Ultimate Hub for Direct Sprocket Bolt Up

Just curious but how does this clam shell thing work? What are the 2 little pieces for in the pic?
Thanks
Andrew

I think it clamps around the hub body, inside the spokes' and then has an outside ring that aligns the sprocket with the inside part. They mention that they have 2 sizes for different hub bodies. I've never known if there is a standard for coaster brake hubs but I looked at freewheel hubs at the store and their diameter was all over the place.

Well I bought it, it looks solid. I have to run to the bike store tomorrow and by a new wheel to mount it to, (the 72 spoke wheel I have on there now would be to complicated). It didnt come with any instructions, I will let you know how it works.

Clam shell update:
Well I have had a few hiccups, 1st the hole pattern didn't match either of my sprockets. So I ordered a 40 from live fast motors, (thats the smallest they had). The sprocket quality is not as nice as my 36T from spooky tooth. Its not chromed and it looks like I will have to file the teeth smooth.

Next the 1st 26 wheel with coaster brake I bought had a star shaped brake insert. The clam shell comes with a cool little insert that the brake arm attaches to that allows it to clear the sprocket with out bending it. But it has to be the rectangle shape.

I have mounted up everything and as soon as the 40 mph winds die down I will test it out. Still a fantastic idea just needs a little fine tuning. The set up seems very solid, I look forward to seeing how true it rides.
Stryker

Just a tidbit on the Staton hub. The only source for left hand freewheels is ACS and only in a 16t, not much to bolt to. I believe someone on the old Staton forum, wrote about disassembling a 16t LH and a 22t RH and putting the 22t sprocket ring on the LH body. They said it could be done by just turning the RH sprocket ring over. I don't know if it would work but if it would, many of your rear wheel / spoke / sprocket issues would go away and you would get a freewheel in the process. Staton's rear hub is bullet proof and if you ever pedal with freewheel, you'll never go back.

Just an idea.

Clam shell update

Any photos that you could post would be greatly appreciated. That adapter looks like just the thing for use on a 3speed internal geared hub. At what, $65, its too spendy for me to try on a lark when the Grubee HD hub with bandbrake could be had for less. (but its for single speed bikes, I think).

I was waiting for some extra chain to hook up the 40 tooth sprocket from my 36T. In the meantime I managed to break my coaster hub. I ordered a beefed up wheel and it turns out the main bolt that runs through the hub can be different lengths. the new one is 6 in instead of 7 in. There isn't enough length to put the clamshell on and still bolt up to the frame. The coaster brake adapter takes up space. So I will have to pull the old one out and run it through the new wheel.
also my clam shell is just a hair to small and wont clear the dust cover, so its off to the lathe to take of a couple of millimeters. I am thinking the free wheel might be the way to go with this with the live fast adapter. we will see,
I will add some pics when I get all my ducks in a row

Back