Ultimate Hub for Direct Sprocket Bolt Up

A

andyinchville1

HI All,

In reading all the posts that expressed a concern over the current 9 hole mounting system for the sprocket (mainly addressing the issue of spoke breakage and /or obtaining a precision alignment of the sprocket itself), I was wondering why nobody makes a high quality hub that a sprocket can directly bolt up to....

I do realize that Grubee (I think) sells a hub that this can be done BUT it is really not suitable for a multi speed rear casette / freewheel and it probably isn't of real high quality anyways (like a true high end bike part...Say for instance Shimano Dura Ace...etc...).

I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to take a hub designed for a disc brake and mount our sprocket onto it in place of the disc...This would not only provide a good spoke free mounting area for our sprockets BUT also give us a high quality, readily available, hub with multi speed capability and perfect sprocket centering / alignment (not necessarily chain line alignment but the sprocket would have no wobble or be out of true.. .chain line alignment can be handled by a sprocket offset (sprockets would not be a problem since they can be custom made / drilled for this type application).....

Any thoughts or ideas on this?....Is the mounting area of a disc brake set up strong enough? ( I think the bolt holes are smaller and fewer but maybe high strength grade 8 could be used?)...Any experimenters out there? ;-)

Andrew

Wow, Now that's A bike!...Thanks for the link Papa....And to think I would have been happy to do away with the disc to swap in a sprocket....Didn't even enter my mind that you could have both!
Andrew

I bought this axle with the hub for a disc brake to try this out for a direct bolt on:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/HU703B07-Shimano+Deore+Disc+M525+Rear+Hub.aspx

Andy, could you custom a 36T sprocket for this, and if so, what would you need from me? I could mail you a stencil drawing of the hole pattern so you could go by that. I was told that this type of hub is used by others, but I assume they are drilling out their own sprockets since I don't see any for sale that would fit due to the hole pattern.

Let me know what you think.

:cool:I have a STATON hub on my rack mount. quite pricey, but gets the job done. 7-speed cassette plus 16t freewheel sprocket on left side.

i spoke with Dave Staton, regarding a 36 freewheel sprocket for left-side. he knows of none available, but said that his 16t could be drilled to bolt the 36t on to.

i also ordered a HD hub from bicycle-engines.com. they referred me to their sub, who will drill a 36t sprocket to mount onto a freewheel hub.

Myron

HI Johnny,

Yes, I could make a sprocket for that disc brake hub (actually, I've been dying to try that but my normal work has been quite crazy lately)....To make things as precise as possible I would need the actual hub so that I could get the precise measurements needed...unfortunately stencil drawings or "rubbings" are not precise enough when setting up the milling machines (of course I would send the hub back when I am done with it)...I wonder if all disc brake bolt patterns are the same?

Andrew

Oops....further reading of the ad for the hub indicates that yes all discs have standard spacings if they meet the same 6 bolt IS standard...That is good news!...Finally the possibility of a real quality hub with a direct bolt on sprocket!

Andrew

The conversion Philcred did must be one of the best i have seen thus far. Only time will tell if it will withstand the forces applied..... Good on you Philcred!!!!

My personal choice would be a hub like this Shimano hub: http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=19064&category=740
It is splined and therefore more suitable for an application where high torque could be an issue.
Or maybe one of these beefier ones like this one: http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=9621&category=83

The machining of an adaptor for the Shimano hub would cost a bit of money, but it's only a once off expense...

Klox, those do look nice, especially the chrome, but that price is what I would pay for an entire motor. I was hoping to stick under $50, and come up with a solution that others in here would feel is affordable. However, I have not tried the Shimano that I mentioned above, so it will be a test hub. It may be that a pricier, larger model will be better. We will see.

Back