Ultracaps may be the future Battery!

Possibly, but it seems that with recharge times of around 3 minutes and the fact that cells can be daisy chained for very long ranges, it might not be necessary. Consider, a car that can go from L.A. to New York on a single charge then take a three minute recharge and head back west again. Then you have ebikes with a range say of two thousand miles or more on a single 3 minute charge. A Texas company claims patents for such and says it is very close to licensing out this technology. People have said well the oil companies won't let it happen. I am not so sure. Remember that recent studies indicate that refined petrol for travel is only about 12 to 18 percent of oil usage. Oil is used for many more items such as for example, plastic products etc.

Remember that recent studies indicate that refined petrol for travel is only about 12 to 18 percent of oil usage. Oil is used for many more items such as for example, plastic products etc.

You hit the nail square on the head.
If everyone switched to electric powered vehicles tomorrow and not one more drop of petrol/gasoline was purchased by the public or industry, the oil refineries would burn off petrol in flare stacks.

Just about every material item that you touch in life has petro-chemical ingredients; from bitumen to cosmetics.
Without hydrocarbons, life goes back to the horse and cart, not to mention whale and seal oil for heating, lighting and lubricants. If the green movement got what they wanted, they'ed have to fuel their anti-whaling ships with whale oil bio-fuel.

Yes sir, until they come up with a natural ag based lube, it will be crude that greases EVERYTHING!There is a windmill farm put up near my place, thanks to our dictator,... I mean president.It has no energy use, they put it up before even putting up lines/substations, they just sit and spin.I read they each take 5 to 7 gallons of grease every month!!The green movement is largely city people making rules without any idea how life is lived in the country, BUT if they come up with something that has the range/weight/power of my little EH035 I'd be all over it, anything to slow the progress of this tinnitus.

I have a 5.11 ultracapacitor flashlight and also a few loose 100F 2.7V caps. Tis impressive stuff alright although the energy density isn't quite there yet. The caps would heat up a bit of steel wire till its red/orange hot, I need to buy a few more of them so I can use them instead of a battery for the 30w solar panel I installed a few weeks ago. A hybrid electric / petrol bike would be an interesting piece of machine as well. I actually hate battery tech because it wears out so quick so hopefully the newer high density supercaps will make their way onto the market soon. Even at half the energy density of Lead Acid (15wh/kg) it would take off I reckon, it would be enough to make them suitable for starting cars

The electronic high tech is probably the fastest growing of all industries. Apple is one of those companies where they are so aggressive they can't wait to upgrade there last ipad or iphone. These ultracaps sound really promising, with all the rival competiton it will be diffucult to be the first to get that to market. I hope it becomes the next great innovation, I read in another article about nano science becoming the future of medicine.

The electronic high tech is probably the fastest growing of all industries. Apple is one of those companies where they are so aggressive they can't wait to upgrade there last ipad or iphone. These ultracaps sound really promising, with all the rival competiton it will be diffucult to be the first to get that to market. I hope it becomes the next great innovation, I read in another article about nano science becoming the future of medicine.

Apple will be just about the last company to switch to ultracapacitors I'd say. They pioneered the idea of installing batteries that can't be removed without a painful opening the case and desoldering the battery procedure. Their business thrives on the fact that current Lithium Ion batteries last maybe 500 cycles.

I'm not saying that Apple is good thing, I'm only relating there greed/energy is extreme and they want to antiquate their former products. In order to make the customer want more, they are on the fast track to create faster, better.

Talked to Li Ping at Ping Battery. They are watching this very closely. Believe this may well replace heavy and costly batteries.

Back