Engine Trouble UnHappy Happy Time (engine wont start)

Please don't give up hope Zev. There is never much wrong with these engines. It's nearly always something small that causes the problem.

Keep the spark plug in and let the clutch out. Try to push the bike forward. The bikes back wheel should lock up. If it doesn't the clutch needs adjusting. Thats what happened here:
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=9269&highlight=engine+wont+start
To adjust the clutch you need to unscrew the gearbox cover and find that funny shaped nut in the centre of the gear. Tighten it up a bit.

If the clutch is fine it is an electrical problem, well work out what that is if neccasary.

BSA

also i had the same problem before, Make sure your CDI wires are hooked up the right way i had mine backwards before and it would spark and not do a full cycle.

If you're getting spark, I must be fuel.
I presume fuel is flowing freely into the carb? I just had to replace a fuel valve last week after spending two days trying to start mine. Even with fuel in the line, I notice an air bubble right above the brass pc on the carb. No fuel would pass that bubble. No matter how much tapping, shaking, that stubborn air bubble blocked any fuel from getting in to the carb. After removing the line and replacing the fuel valve, the fuel was flowing, and the engine started right up.
I know this sounds too simple, but maybe.......

The roads in Bullhead are twisty and fun.
When it rains (once a year) the roads wash out. Resulting in an extremely bumpy tide until the traffic smashes the cheap roadway flat again. Two inches of asphalt coating over desert sand.
My carb joint loosens all the time even after gluing the carb on.
This sounds like your problem.
Re-attach and re-seal your carb.

Pull the magneto plate. Use one of those cordless screwdrivers with a socket adaptor and appropriate size socket to spin the motor with spark plug removed. Remove spark plug but keep it pluged in and press it against motor (any metal part). Spin motor with cordless driver and watch for spark. My 18v driver spins motor fast enough to get multiple sparks.

I used this method to diagnose a bad CDI

Look at us poor Happy Time fans pleading with Zev0 to give it another crack even though he typed in that he made up his mind. Were not gonna let him quit like that oh no he cannot must not no!!!

Back