Engine Trouble Unusual Clutch problems

dotcom

Local time
12:01 AM
So my clutch was perfectly fine with no issues and its a fairly new upgraded engine with a balanced crank and upgraded bearings, ported cylinder and such and it goes over 40 mph but after changing a leaky crank seal, it seems its working with a better seal because of it but it seems its putting stress on the clutch when it engages. This is tough to try to explain but the clutch slips when I am trying to accelerate. It was so bad that it would only rev the engine whether the clutch was engaged or disengaged. It revs but is not catching and it seems internally that the clutch is not properly seated in the engine or off to one side more than it should. Even if I tighten or loosen the flower nut, it seems something is not right. After trying to adjust the flower nut for over an hour, it seems that even when I get it right, it backs itself off on its own and the whole clutch loosens itselfin a matter of a few engagements. I have experienced this before and it seems like the worst case scenario that takes patience. I have been riding and building for almost 10 years and this is the one thing that I still don't fully understand. Some have suggested that the ball bearing behind the bucking bar or the bucking bar itself got worn out but that is certainly not the case. By the skin of my teeth and after an hour trying to rig it just to get home from 10 miles away around midnight last night, I was able to somehow stack a couple clutch pads on top of eachother and still put the flower nut on. That was the only way the clutch wouldn't loosen itself so much as so I would not be able to ride it. It seems that something is internally loose because it only slowly loosens until its too loose. gotta be something simple or maybe not ;p experts please help

Last edited:
take off outer plate and hub nut to see if hub is properly seated on shaft with woodruff key straight in slot - I've seen factory fail to get these straight and tight

I have not confirmed it yet and I don't think its the problem but the nut was loose near the flower nut but I want to wait until it stops raining to test to see if that was it. Either way, it still seems too far to one side since the flower nut takes more to tighten that any other flower nut that I have ever seen. Even after tightening the nut, the flower nut is still sticking out too far to seem normal.

you need to take whole clutch off to see if woodruff key is in properly and that clutch hub is straight & tight onto the tapered shaft (small bevel gear should sit about in middle of teeth of large ring gear)

I removed clutch and key is in properly and everything seems tight but the big gear is slightly in more than the small gear and not perfectly centered. I have noticed that alot of times this is normal and maybe it is and that it was just the nut was loose. I will test it out today and report back

after a test ride, I am sure that for some unknown reason, the clutch is still slipping. Clutch pads seem big enough and not worn down much at all and this was not happening before I changed the bad crank seal. I rode it a few miles today to the bike shop and for the most part, the clutch seems to only slip during mid torque but its pretty bad and low end is also affected but does not seem to be as bad as before, where with just a few engagements, it was progressively getting worse and worse and low end, mid end and top end were all affected. Im pretty sure tightening the nut under the plate near the flower nut fixed it as much as it has which is alot but id love to know why its still slipping. It was not slipping with a slightly bad crank seal. But the slightly bad crank seal was affecting my idle. I was either idling too high or too low but aside from having a bad idle, it was a smooth ride and no slipping clutch but I wanted to fix the bad idling and almost just after changing the seal, the slipping started to occur. I checked different things and even a different carb when I couldn't figure the idling out but now the idle is perfect.
Also, I checked a different motor and the big and small gear near the clutch area look centered exactly the same. They are completely different motors from different sellers and big and small gears on both motors look centered exactly the same. Both have the big gear slightly in more than the small gear.

did you wash pads in gas or other cleaner after seal leaked? also wiping back plate while pads are out is good

OK what cleaner is preferred? Gas ? Because all I have handy is a gas oil mix. How about H-7 degreaser? Or something else?

Back