Update from 6 years ago: Is there a reliable transmission yet?

INTP_ty

Local time
6:17 AM
For the 49cc engines? Like the whoshewang or the Honda.

Also, what’s the deal with the rpm’s. I see some guy on YouTube says you can’t hold the 4 strokes wide open for long periods? What? Why would they make an engine that couldn’t stroke?

You ever see a portable generator? They run at governed high RPM for very long periods and they are 4 strokes. I can't speak for the Whoswang engine though.

That dude really needs to true up that back wheel.

I've had good luck with the Grubee 4G belt drive. It's a little spendy, but very solid. Used to be I'd ride 40-60 miles a year, always worrying that the trans would break, and it always did. This year I put 260 miles on the Grubee with no problems at all.

That dude really needs to true up that back wheel.

I've had good luck with the Grubee 4G belt drive. It's a little spendy, but very solid. Used to be I'd ride 40-60 miles a year, always worrying that the trans would break, and it always did. This year I put 260 miles on the Grubee with no problems at all.

Dang. I ride 50miles a day sometimes

OK, about the EZQ belt drive,,,,,here is why I can't run one here in WV. The rear sprocket needed to run one here is too large and would no doubt allow the chain to eat into the frame. I do not know where my frame came from. It is steel and has a 1 litre tank and the rear down-comer ??? tubes have an offset to accommodate the drive line. STILL I do not believe there is room for a sprocket large enough to make the grades here using an EZQ. So the old G4 W/ 5:1 ratio is here to stay.

I am running an 11 tooth front sprocket and 56 tooth rear at present but will probably go to a 12 tooth front as the 45T rear and 11T front was not low enough for enough of the grades and 11T front and 56T rear is a bit too low for a reasonable top end.

I weigh 145lbs and the machine weighs in @ about 100 even, with the Kryptonite chain lock set aboard. I would like an 70 lb additional payload capacity. Even with the 11T front and 56T rear sprockets I still can't get ALL the way up a few of the the steepest of the grades on this mountain. I have had no issues with ANY of the 3" clutches I have ran on 3 Chicom engines (DAX Super Titan I messed up by only filling to the full line on the dipstick instead of topping the thing off,,, :( ) stock 49cc 142F with tens of thousands of miles and generations of riders and a yet fully broken in 144F 53cc despite stalling the clutch on the steepest grades.

I can walk the machine up the final 40 yds or so on the worst of the grades OR I can skirt over to a part of the mountain with a lower ridge line and get all the way on lower grades from there. IF, they went to a 5:1 drive ratio in the EZQ I believe there would be issues with the clutch latching in at the proper RPM AND clearance issues on the rear sheave.

I have an EZQ drive on a machine in Tucson I bought used for a homeless veteran's camp. It needs work and I will be returning in March to pick that up where I left off. The machine here in WV came off the mesa as well. There are a few grades there (Tucson camp) but NOTHING like what is going on here in WV. Going down these rutted gravel grades is actually a larger pucker factor than going up.

Fortunately, WV has no motorized bike laws, at all. This means I can run whatever engine the frame will put up with. The Camp Runner back outside Tucson is accelerating VERY slowly to 29.1 MPH and levels out there. Engine sounds firm but,,,,,,,, It is a very much lighter machine than Creeper here in WV. It is running a 56T rear sprocket but is not reaching it's full RPM though sounds perfect except for,,,,,,. The EZQ is not slipping and there was no rubber dust or any other signs of stress. That clutch is brand new too. That engine has 7,000 miles on it and I suspect the cam is worn. The former owner whom I bought the Camp Runner from told us he had in fact gone through one clutch on the EZQ unit already. How much of the riding was done on the cheapo chain drive is unknown but he got the EZQ unit to replace the cheapo chain unit that came on the machine off the shelf. Sooooo, I am a bit concerned about the machine being reliable for the camp. A new cam and IF a 64T rear sprocket will go onto it without biting into the frame, that is what is in store when I return to continue the rework of it.

Anyone familiar with the grades around Tucson and the EZQ belt drive is very much invited to make suggestions. I doubt I will get a larger engine for Creeper here in WV as it will be traveling with me around the country via FedEx. The plan for that machine is ANOTHER DAX Super Titan 49cc engine and an NOS kit hoping that those will get me up the steepest grades here cresting the top of the mountain. ANY comments or suggestions on my plans for either machine's upgrades to insure longevity, reliability and needed torque would be greatly appreciated. I do not care about top end and 25-27 MPH top end is fine.
THANKS!

Back