Update, Lights, Horn, 12 Volt Solution

• Thread starter Deleted Member 4613
  • Start date
i seen a guy the other day here with a state temp plate on his widfire that is just wrong its a peddle assist bike not a motorized bike
if u were to read on u see something that refers to 49 cc and that the peddles and chain have to be there if ppl what to plate suff thats gos under 40 get a moped i have blowen by state cops citty cops cops in the burbs i talked with state cops even everyone loves it anyways think about this a bike with a battery will do 27 mph easy and they cant say noting about them im just sayin dont go askin dumb **** down at the dmv there not getin payed to make the rules there just there to mess with your head and give you a hard time im thinkin about talking a long trip soon pulling a trailer but for you dude keep letin ppl tell you what you can and cant do i just did some math seems like i been on that bike 250 days and the only time a cops talks to me is when he wants info on my bike or says he wants me to make him one or thumbs up im goin downtown Chicago nightly watch the cars and take yer lane peace out
ps mayor daily even seen my bike lol

What I invented was a unique system with full 90 amp power equivalent to a standard motorscooter, capable of high halogen illumination needed for night driving. Also, indeed, driving a motorized bicycle is illegal in Illinois, as I have checked this out very thoroughly
with state police and the Illinois secretary of state. The Secretary will not register such a vehicle and grant a license at this time, and if caught driving without a state plate on any motorized vehicle in Illinois, a citation can be issued. At this time the Secretary refuses to grant a plate on a motorized bicycle because it is not built upon a frame intended for motorized power. I challenge any one who thinks this was an easy problem, one that can be solved by just throwing money at it to go for it. Show us your solution. You'll soon discover that some problems require extensive effort, inventive talent and maybe even some luck. Some solutions require years to develop successfully. Anyone who believes invention and product development are easy is simply ignorant.

Duivendyk,

Probably explains why my tail lt. is burnning brighter, it's closest to ground.

My rationality in hooking them up in series was, I got the first one to light through the resistor. I didn't know the specs for the resistor in the board but knew there was one already there. I figured that putting them in series would help filter V as it was passed to each new one.

The ironic thing is that the LED's now act as a cop filter. LOL. Of coarse you heard it running Sir, I'm not going to tell you your completely cracking up! Look, I could pedal like a normal bike, the motor was just running to power the lights, it's cheaper than batteries! Besides it's just warmming up so I could ride it in my friends parking lot. Depending on the reaction I get, results in my saying more or not saying another word till I talk to my attorney.

So far I've been stopped once in Buffalo, by probably one of the coolest Cop's I've ever met. Conversation started, Look, I'm not out to be a D---k... I just want some honest answers here! I just about fell over, we talked for a good 1/2 hr and he was ammazed at how quiet the bike was. When I showed him how the clutch and kill switch worked, he put two and two together himself and had to turn away to keep from laughing. I've got over 1,000 miles on it and have caught some looks by others on patrol. Made me ride it for him!

NY is not friendly turf as far as I can find out.The trick is not to get them riled up& up in arms,then you're liable to get your a*s busted.Being 'close' to ground has nothing to do with brightness, they all share the same current,some LED will get more of their share of voltage (depends on the color& the type) that is more power and would light up more consequently,but that's the only game in town unless you get involved with an (expensive )chip like the Buck Puck.But then you have to rectify the WW output first &charge a 12V battery.Each LED takes something like 3-4 V so you can string a number in series (four I would think) to get to 18-20V.They get hit with short ,high amplitude pulses if driven directly from the WW.Might flicker at low speed,3600 rpm = 60cycles/sec.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's exactly what I've got going on here, (a little flicker) at idle. When the R's come up the light is brighter.

Here's some pics at dusk when the sun had started falling. Didn't want to get rained on or would have stayed out latter for a more accurate depiction. WW, white wire LED's.
I threw that in there so people searching know it works and they could go back and read my notes... Picture's are at a weak idle. They get brighter while ridding.

Attachments

• ht036em.JPG
    ht036em.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 189
  • ht038em.JPG
    ht038em.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 176
  • ht040em.JPG
    ht040em.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 160
  • ht041em.JPG
    ht041em.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 159
  • ht042em.JPG
    ht042em.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
I like your inventiveness and spirit but the pics show how little light your solution is
yielding. I don't think the white wire concept is the answer. I will go out on a limb and say the only real solution for intense lighting similiar to production motorcycles and motorscooters was mine. I managed to use the engine to create wattage for lighting
that matches the whizzer motorbike. The solution was complicated requiring an expensive circuit board and other parts but it all worked very well at all engine speeds.
I'd like to see someone else develop a lower cost lighting solution that uses the engine, if it is possible. For now, I'll ride my bike looking over my shoulder for police in Illinois.

It's difficult to hit the trade-off bullseye.I think 90W is pretty goldplated for an MB.The WW/12V battery 6-8 W charging,40Wmax discharge,is feasible and can be built by non-experts.It should be adequate if used in conjunction with efficient light sources (LED's).

OK, but remember the power source also has to run all the lighting, turn signals, stop light, horn, even the headlamp during the day (the law here), the works, even when the engine is at idle, and the headlamp has to have sufficient intensity to light the road at night. How about doing it and proving your concept. When will you start? Love to see your video or at least photos, and a complete description of it. Mike

Obviously not,no way!.I was talking about just a bicycle,not a fully-fledged moped and about what would be needed as a minimum to be able to ride at night or when visibility is poor, and what would be helpful to improve visibility in day time,flashers etc.If they throw all these requirements at you, forget it,get a moped,or become an under-the-radar-low-profile sneako.

On no! Why not just get a battery and a bicycle light if your goals are so low? LED headlights for bicycles are already available, so I don't see what you would be accomplishing. Just visit a bicycle shop for lighting. Anyway, I'd like to see a video of your solution, and what your definition of "minimum" light is for night riding. Show us you're a doer, not just a talker.

Back