Upper Southeast Alaska

Oh well

Some days you just can't ride a friction drive. And it's too damp and windy to fish or check the crab traps. Time to stop and smell the roses, or, in my case, check out some of the other wonders of this world.

Van you live in a very pretty place. Just too much green and water for a Desert Rat. I have seen the pictures they show when you go up on the slope. I wish I had the pictures of the Chain link fence where the sign says " DO NOT ENTER IF BEARS ARE PRESENT" You would think most smart people, or a dumb Texan could figure the last place you wanted to be with a bear is INSIDE a chain link fence. Then the next picture is the half eaten guy who entered the fence. Took my trip up the slope, got home in three weeks and told the contractor I believe I would keep my young backside in the lower 48. Then wound up two winters in central Minnesota. Again too green and too much water. Love your pics.
From the Giant Side of Texas

It hasn't happened yet, but us locals figure it's just a matter of time before someone gets hurt by the Browns over on the Chilkoot. Either someone getting too close trying for a good photo, or some fisherman who isn't willing to give up his fish. It'll be a shame. One of the impressive things about these bears is that they could kill and eat anything they want to, but they choose to eat salmon when they are running, and flowers and berries most of the rest of the time. Up on the slope it's different. The Polar Bears will eat what they can.

Attachments

• IMG_1474_1.jpg
    IMG_1474_1.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_1420_1.jpg
    IMG_1420_1.jpg
    558.9 KB · Views: 332
A bike friendly place

How many towns have a nice campground dedicated to bike riders?
IMG_1493_1.jpg

It's Portage Cove Campground in Haines AK. Run by the state parks people. Not too big, 5 or 6 fire rings and picnic tables. Very well kept. There is a custodian to take care of the place. (But they don't get in your face.) Protected from the north wind. There's a big metal bar structure so you can keep all foodstuffs way up out of reach of the bears. All the firewood you can use down on the beach.

IMG_1501_1.jpg

Easy bike distance to downtown. 5 bucks per tent per night.

IMG_1495_1.jpg

Winter in Upper SE

I thought to post some pics of commuting in the winter up here. I was going to put them in the thread about daily commutes, but it occurred to me that it might provide some balance in this thread.

IMG_2007_1.jpg

IMG_2169.jpg

Just about too deep to ride.
IMG_2174.jpg

Definitely too deep to ride.
IMG_2177.jpg

A colorful sunrise.
IMG_2323_1.jpg

Near as I can tell, Gary rides his HT every day.
IMG_2387.jpg

OT. I was just out wandering around.
IMG_2485.jpg

Not an approved method for moving a car. But an effective one.
IMG_2547.jpg

Today at work.
IMG_2592.jpg

Wow, you live in a really beautiful area.
I'm surprised that you stick with scrubber drive. I would figure with all the
snow and water and slush that you would absolutely NEED chain drive.

CBR, the friction drive was my first wild stab at a MotoredBike. It was perhaps not the best choice for the conditions here, but it was enough to prove to me that this was something to pursue. Once I get the trike pretty well lined out, I'll move the Mitsu back onto the Trek, and work on changing to a chain drive. I already have a hub with left side freewheel for it.

cool

hope i get to see some of alaska soon really nice pics.maybe when im up the i can get some of your money in a poker game.:cool:

Back