Upper Southeast Alaska

Thanks for sharing the great photos! It has been my dream to see Alaska and I am going to realize it next May when the South Central Alaska Beard and Moustache Club (Anchorage) is going to host the 2009 World Beard and Moustache Championship

I cannot wait!!!

I took a few pictures of the neighbors during my rides the past couple of days:

101_0628_1.jpg

101_0636_1.jpg

101_0640_1.jpg

101_0644_1.jpg

Sorry about how blurry the pic of the moose and her calves is. My batteries were low so it didn't auto-focus well.

Its a little prettier where your at. Heres my winter mobiles and my neighbors. I live in a small town called chugiak but by alaskavans terms Id probably be a city slicker. I got costco and sams club within 20 miles of my house. Definitely a city slicker. :)
That moose has twins every time. I think thats the 3rd set Ive seen in my life. She just about killed me about 17 years ago. My guardian angel saved my *** cause she had me dead to rights.

Attachments

• Today 001.jpg
    Today 001.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 248
  • my neighbors.jpg
    my neighbors.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 243
Hi Big. I've never made it up to the West coast there, yet. I hear it's pretty nice.

Well, I've been busy at the Southeast Alaska State Fair this weekend. Not a very big deal by most standards, but it's a good opportunity to meet the neighbors. (The human ones).

101_0688_1.jpg

101_0689_1.jpg

Here's the booth that our club (Haines Chapter of the UMF) runs. It raises enough money to, along with dues, pay for upkeep of our clubhouse (The Institute).

101_0699_1.jpg

We sell BBQ Pork sandwiches and BBQ Corn on the cob. We toyed with the idea of putting up a poster with Bush saying, "Those Ugly M***** F*****'s can cook the S*** out of some corn!", but even here in rural Alaska we bowed to family values.

101_0698_1.jpg

On the topic of MotoredBikes. There's a bike shop on Dalton Street (The set from the movie, White Fang) at the Fairgrounds. Here's a couple of electric bikes parked in front of the shop.

101_0708_1.jpg

101_0709_1.jpg

I'm going to try to get everyone here who owns a "powered" bike together for a ride next month before I head down to OP. There are a few different styles of Motored bikes here, so I think it will be good to get them all together so we can compare the different technologies.

Hey Denny, what you got planned for Aug. 17th?

Someone's been sleeping in MY bed and he's STILL THERE!

Ha!

Van,

You remind me of my stint in Alaska back in '85. Good times. Lived in Anchorage and serviced equipment all over Alaska. Was in Juneau quite a bit. Beautiful areas. I flew Alaska airlines quite often and it's the only airline I know that would detour over to McKinley to give the passengers a better look when it wasn't clouded in. And I loved the reindeer sausage! Oh MY GOD!

You bring back all the great memories with your pictures an tales. Salmon bakes over Alder coals, fishing for halibut (puney ones at 25 lbs), The tides in the Turnagain Arm... great stuff! A place you never stop talking about the weather or the seasons.

Thanks for the journey!

Ross

i spent 30 glorious years in kasilof ak. the keni peninsula. i drove truck, i helped build highways, the pipeline. drove on the frozen ocean for 18 winters while on the north slope. fished salmon on the kenai, dipnetted too.fished for giant halibut out of homer, got moose and birds to eat. if im having a bad day i just turn my mind north. all is well. mitch

Cool memories, eh Mitch? I'm sitting here late in the evening. Just rode home from visiting a neighbor. He lives about a mile down the road. I took the K2 over there. The forest outside the is dark. I KNOW that there is at least 1 big brown bear within about 1/2 mile outside. I love pulling the cord on my Mitsu and knowing she'll move me right along. The cabin I'm living in has the Deer head and Moose antlers on the wall. Hot water is supplied by a pipe that runs through the wood stove and into a big tank that stays warm long after the fire goes out. I have the gas light in the kitchen and an oil lamp on the table. Those and the light of the computer screen are the only lights I regularly use. I do have an LED reading light in the bedroom. It's still possible to live this way. Of course, what you and I know is that it takes a particular attitude/aptitude. Monday, I will file flight plans for heading to OP. I look forward to swapping stories with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today I tried to gather together the people who have Motored bikes in Haines. The weather was pretty bad this morning. Rain and fog. It cleared up a bit in the afternoon.

101_0823_1.jpg

101_0824_1.jpg

This electric Giant had the best finish IMO.
101_0825_1.jpg

Here's the Peugeot that I put together for the Mail Lady.
101_0826_1.jpg

Zack's electric I-Zap chopper is pretty cool. My K2 is in the background.
101_0827_1.jpg

Not a bad ride for a stock electric, but my banged up old knees wouldn't let me pedal it.
101_0828_1.jpg

Both the local radio station and newspaper sent reporters. We'll see what, if anything, they publish/play.

Back