Urban Fatbiker, then longbiker...now an Urban Buzzbiker

Urban Fatbiker

Local time
8:44 PM
Short time lurker, but figured its time to post about my newest creation and plan for the next. SO....hello y'all.

My cycling ended with my teens, and so did the hobby aspect of it. But, a bit of life came along and prompted me to do something....or die. That story is at this link.

Why The Urban Fatbiker?

The story covers the first half of 2017 where I went from sick guy to cyclist. Until this point I had not ridden a bicycle since 1982. The ride that goes with that story is a 26" fatbike, aluminum frame, fitted for the street and for an old man with prostate cancer. I rode that thing thru the radiation treatments, and 10 days later rode it in the Tour De Nash.

View media item 61694
After the Tour, I had radioactive seed implants. That put me off any kind of upright seat for over a YEAR. And I had no money for a recumbent. But I had scrap bikes. By Labor Day I was riding, and yes it looked like crap. This was a learning experience, but it was also an emergency. I was NOT giving up cycling! It had to roll, no paint, pillows strapped to the back, on Wallyworld hardware. Tiller steering wheel-flopping monster. But I rode it and was happy to be back in the street.

View media item 61695
By spring, the junkpile had transformed to a sweet ride. I stripped a Trek MTB for hardware, made an expansion-spring seat support, new custom forks, even a cooler rack and bluetooth speaker mount.

View media item 61696
Rode it in last year's Tour De Nash. That was 5 months after I was terminated from my employer of 23 years. The hits keep on coming. But, I always fight back.

OK. Getting healthier, feeling committed to the cause, and I LOVE cycling. But I am old. And I would like to extend the range. So, I started lurking here, checked laws, looked at what I had on hand, that included another bike I had bought from Goodwill.

Wanted to keep it simple...but just didn't want that engine hanging off the side. So, the Buzzbike is what I came up with using a Ryobi 30cc. I will make a build thread on this, still need to tear it down and clean it up, but hey, had to ride. It works well. I swapped rear sprockets a few times to add torque, first too little (but a screamer in the flats), next too much, touch the throttle, the drive roller breaks loose. The final works well, and takes small grades, and lets me take larger grades without busting my balls. A success. Got about 60 miles on it so far, but its dead of winter, give me some warmth and Ima rolling. The DIY exhaust gives it more dirt-bike character. Pics from last weekend before the bitter cold ran me back inside.

I am now prepping the next construction for riding the 15th Annual Tour De Nash. Another 70" wheelbase LWB recumbent, only this time I have a plan from start to finish, much better hardware, better donor bikes NO wallyworld. Building it with two BB for easier future power. It will get Maxxis Hookworms for that Urban Fatbiker-Longbike look. I will be making a detail construction thread on bentrideronline. FINALLY started cutting tubes this week. I gotta get on it or I'll be riding last year's longbike for the TDN.

Either that, or ride the buzzbike without buzz. That'll rattle the tree-huggers and clean air activist crowd, and the lycra-clad team riders.

After the Tour the NEW longbike will be getting a motor...that will be another build thread for HERE. I have an idea for friction drive / chain drive hybrid, using a mower wheel on the rear BB of the next longbike, driving the crankset, and front BB sprocket will be a freewheel, using pivot for lift clutch. I need gears, its hilly around here!

Then what da hell, I'll be an Urban Fatbiker / Longbiker / Buzzbiker.

Got more lurking to do, lot to learn.

Welcome to the forum! I always try to coast past the spandex superheroes, no need to get their (wife's) panties (that they are wearing) in a bunch, its already riding up far enough as is. Really I just don't want them freaking out and crashing because I scared them. I've had some try to get violent with me using their bike paths when I couldn't take a lane, have had to avoid legs being stuck out (not sure if they understand my heavy bike would shatter their leg...) when trying to pass them. You could always do the tour de nash with an e-bike build, that won't bug them as much. Keep up the good fight and don't ever give up bro.

I plan to ride it no power. Use the engine to taunt the team riders (the Germans thought the fatbike was heavy).

"Thats not an engine...its ballast. Added kinetic energy."

Then I can fire it up and go home after the Tour.

Lucky post #13 Woohoo!

For all those that avoid the Friction Drive forum...y'all should check it out. Chain-drive enthusiasts snub their noses at the Friction-Drive riders. THeir Chain-Drive looks professional. Friction-Drive looks cheap.
Maybe...and maybe not.

Yeah, I know, its usually for the cheaper and easier setups. I get the cheap, but I never do anything easy. This project was cheap, as I am a packrat for all scrapped mechanical and had a good source for hi-quality scraps. Easy - started this last July, was riding it from October thru January. Then, I decided it earned a total rework to perfect all the nagging misalignments, rusty metal, removal of the signs of scraps and welding slop, and a good paint job. It got new hardware on the handlebars and made to look like...a commercial motorbike product. Not like an add-on kludged to the side like so many FD projects.

Buzzbike is now made pretty and back on the road after a winter of rework. I was going to go chain-drive on the next one to add to a new recumbent, but I am evaluating a recommendation to try a shifter hub buried in a jackshaft. I'm liking that idea.

I think someone on my Buzzbike post said this Grasshopper was ready to leave the compound......
Urban Fatbiker...no longer a newbie. Now the Urban Buzzbiker!

rear view steel roller.jpg
clutch side.jpg

Back