Use the black zipties!

5-7HEAVEN

:cool:when i worked for VERIZON(phone company), we used company-issued WHITE zipties in the field, to strap wiring, equipment, etc. through experience, we realized that the white zipties would break apart in time, especially when exposed to the sun and elements.
decades later, BLACK zipties were issued to field personnel. they were more resistant to ultraviolet radiation and the elements. white ties were then used mainly in indoor applications, or not at all.
so if you have a choice, buy BLACK zipties, and use the SMALLEST ties. the standard-size ties don't offer as great a grip for bicycle spokes.

Myron

Fun fact: this is also the reason that rubber is black.

The natural color of latex rubber is white, and previous to WW I, all typical rubber items (like car and bicycle tires) were white. When WW I began there was a shortage of rubber, and scientists found that adding carbon black to rubber boosted its durability by protecting it against UV/sunlight. So from then on, white rubber has had carbon black added to it.

Something to possibly keep in mind, if you do a retro bike with white-rubber tires.
~

I use to fix the electrical wirings for the US Navy hover crafts. I also noticed that black zip ties lasted longer. The white ones would crumble apart.

I had a pack of black ties for yesterday's install, followed your advise.

I'm going to presume that the other designer colors will all work better than clear white, better accent for the blue and red paint jobs.

Attachments

• 2007_0822yellowbike0008.JPG
    2007_0822yellowbike0008.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 336
:cool:bama, open the bag in the center of the package, facing you, about 3/4" hole. if you open the bag's end or edges, the ties somehow tend to wiggle their way outa the bags when left alone.
double-wrap also, so you can re-use.(but not the spokes).

Back