Use your phone as a speedometer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGeneral1

Local time
3:52 AM
There are some great apps on your smartphone that turn it into a speedometer just Velcro it to your tank and presto...There ya go!!! Works great and very simple!!

There are some great apps on your smartphone that turn it into a speedometer just Velcro it to your tank and presto...There ya go!!! Works great and very simple!!

Sure Waze will display your speed just fine, but velcro? I think I'd want something a bit more secure than that.

I used 2 Velcro strips on tank n it lasted me riding hundreds of miles just fine last summer. Now my tank is behind the seat on my new bike so will have to think of something different...How would you secure it???

I'd want some sort of handle bar mounted clamp holder for my phone, and Waze is a gps navigation app.
OK thanx for the tips. I just used an app that put the m.p.h. # in big white numbers on black screen background. For my new 4stroke build I would like a n old style wheel roller friction type spedo

Personally I use the digihud speedometer app, and funny enough velcro is definitely strong enough, I used to use my primary cell phone even as my speedometer as well and I used an old belt clip holder by otterbox for a Samsung s4, and I had an HTC m8. The case in the phone had the soft part of the velcro while the belt clip which I zip tied to the bars had the rough part, and I used the actual velcro brand which has a heavy duty/industrial strength velcro with an adhesive back, it's supposed to support 10 pounds so a cellphone is nothing.

It worked, and still would work if I put the back on the bike, the velcro stood up to about 6 months of use and never felt like it would drop the phone, in fact I had a bit of chain zip tied to the actual belt clip since I was more worried about the zip ties failing than the velcro.

Check out the app it's kinda nifty, and they have an onscreen window that can be moved around too, so Google maps could be used in the background for navigation while a small window displays your speed.

Personally I use the digihud speedometer app, and funny enough velcro is definitely strong enough, I used to use my primary cell phone even as my speedometer as well and I used an old belt clip holder by otterbox for a Samsung s4, and I had an HTC m8. The case in the phone had the soft part of the velcro while the belt clip which I zip tied to the bars had the rough part, and I used the actual velcro brand which has a heavy duty/industrial strength velcro with an adhesive back, it's supposed to support 10 pounds so a cellphone is nothing.

It worked, and still would work if I put the back on the bike, the velcro stood up to about 6 months of use and never felt like it would drop the phone, in fact I had a bit of chain zip tied to the actual belt clip since I was more worried about the zip ties failing than the velcro.

Check out the app it's kinda nifty, and they have an onscreen window that can be moved around too, so Google maps could be used in the background for navigation while a small window displays your speed.
Noice! Thanx ill scope that app n yes i used 2 strips of brandname velcro n held to tank fine. Used my primary phone as well lol

Someone said you can buy a cheapo smartphone type trackphone (with GPS capability), then you can download a speedometer app and use it without ever setting the phone up. Did I read that right?

Someone said you can buy a cheapo smartphone type trackphone (with GPS capability), then you can download a speedometer app and use it without ever setting the phone up. Did I read that right?

GPS does not need cell phone service to access via apps like speedometer. #tested

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back