Chains Useablilty of chainrings/dual chain setup

any kit...

So I have a question about a different kind of setup for a multi-speed bike. Suppose you were to buy a standard run of the mill kit from any one of the manufactures. Instead of mounting a separate sprocket on the rear wheel to run the motor to why not keep the standard bike chain on say the biggest or outermost chain ring and run a short chain from the motor to the middle chain ring. This would allow you to shift the rear gear cog through all seven different gears. Of course you would no longer use the chain ring shifter. Is there a problem with this setup that I am not seeing or would this be a semi-simple way to have a 7speed motorized bike?
hi budd,
first off if we are talking the happytime run of the mill kit on your average 26" inch frame? personally why would you want to keep the gears? for the sake of arguement why change what works? i mean the engine chain is way stronger than the bike chain...the motor chain is on the left and the pedal chain is on the right...it just can't be done..

i ran out of gas today on my ride from work...i pedal at 7 to 9 miles an hour..with the engine on it weighing maybe 16 pounds...i pedaled 20 blocks to wavey 's and got a shot of gas for the last 40 blocks home...it sure would have been nice to have more than one gear...BTW you can keep the bike gears seporate for just such a misfortune and be able to pedal as fast as you motor, but keeping the gears and the motor wont work...good luck tho and do start a thread in picture gallery and let us see ok?
here is me and my hubby: http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=9710 out for a ride...

Back