Using a 301cc Predator engine from Harbor Freight

I was starting to get that impression. Let me walk you through it. At the top the rpm is obvious. When you enter a number and hit CALCULATE it will tell you your speed. The last box is your tire. Measure the height off the floor and use it every time. Motor Sprocket box: if you are using a clutch enter the tooth count here. With a CVT we are dealing with two different ratios, not teeth. With a 3 to 1 CVT you will start out with three times the torque and 1/3 the speed. Like I said, the 212 will pull this with no problems so lets just consider top speeds. The CVT will be in, call it hi gear, which is a 1 to 1 ratio. The number you put in the Motor Sprocket box doesn't really matter as long as you use the same number in the Jackshaft Input Sprocket box. Now hear are your choices, but first you need to decide which chain you are going to use. Just to start with, I would use the #415 because it has the largest choices of sprockets to chose from. 10T is a common size to start with so put it in the Jackshaft Output Sprocket box. They are available from Stanton Inc. all the way up to 20T I believe? Personally I would like to run something a little larger like a 12T because the chain doesn't have to wrap around the sprocket as tight. It's probably not a big deal, just my thoughts.

Now the Wheel or Axle Sprocket box is the one you'll be changing a lot to determine what you'll end up buying. You are going to use the disc brake flange for the rotor and the hub adapter for the sprocket. Good choice! The 3 things to remember, (1) do not buy an aluminum sprocket (2) make sure it is for a #415 chain (3) make sure the spacing on the sprocket holes match the hub adapter. I have researched this to death and found this to be the best deal. 36 to 56 tooth sprockets and free shipping. I know you can make one of these work. Let me know if you have any concerns.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
BTW............don't buy the "Kit". I'm sure you will get a better deal if you buy these pieces individually. There are a lot of different CVTs on the market. I didn't know anything about them until I watched ALL the videos on Youtube. There are inferior ones that might not be advisable on a hi torque engine like yours. I'm sure others here will guide you through that decision if a CVT is really what you want. Just let us know.

I suggest getting a more realistic speed in mind such as a consistent 45 mph and top out at 55 mph on 26" wheels. Then you'll have a few options to do this.

You can run a single left side chain and 2 sprockets 3~1\1 CVT 10t\50t sprockets.

Or you can install a double sprocket jack shaft to the seat post. Then use this setup:

3~1\1 CVT 12t>>[30t | 18t] JS>>36t Rear Wheel.

By keeping the rear sprocket to a 36t you can setup a rear 3 spoke mag wheel with a disc brake like Damien has. If you truly need to go faster than 45 mph then go buy at least what's classified as a motor-driven cycle or even a motorcycle.

1718098445042.png

Jerry, I think it's important to mention that your ratios and speed were calculated at 3600 rpm with the governor intact. If you do any mods to this engine it will move the torq curve and HP up the rpm scale necessitating alternate gearing. PP666 has got some decisions to make for sure.

Jerry, I think it's important to mention that your ratios and speed were calculated at 3600 rpm with the governor intact. If you do any mods to this engine it will move the torq curve and HP up the rpm scale necessitating alternate gearing. PP666 has got some decisions to make for sure.
Yes this is with a stock engine. If done with a modified engine, even higher reductions would me needed. However, around 45 mph consistently is about the highest one should push a bicycle frame to. If there's a need to go any faster then it's wise to buy a vehicle designed to do so; such as a motorcycle.

Then why can a stock ruckus go 35mph but you only need a class c. It will go 40 now with the 5.5 g sliders and lightweight flywheel. I want to do a performance cam and taller final drive gears too (met gears).
You are beginning to piss me off lately.

You seem to like to keep interjecting lately when I am explaining the laws and how they apply to what someone is building and what to expect in THEIR state, Your questions like, (then why is such and such and so and so different for me with my Honda Ruckus, etc.), after I have posted a reply to someone else about what is happening with the laws and type of bike someone has built for use IN HIS STATE.

First off, I was not making any referrence whatsoever about your Honda Ruckus and how the laws are applying or not applying to its road use in YOUR STATE OF PENNSYLVANIA.

Your State of Pennsylvania and his State of New Jersey have two totally different sets of laws on the books and what applies to particular bikes and the different stages of licensing and registration depending what the bike is capable of power wise, build wise, state vehicle inspection wise, if that is applicable in any given state.

Then why can a stock ruckus go 35mph but you only need a class c.
Personally I don't care...Ask YOUR State of Pennsylvania DMV this question as to why their law is different then New Jersey's law regarding homemade motorised bicycles or your stock commercially made Honda Ruckus which comes under totally different motor vehicle laws right out of the factory door starting with Federal Law compliance, and then whatever state it is distributed in.

Don't insult my intelligence and waste MY time by asking me questions like this again that have NO application whatsoever as to what I am replying to in the first place.

Pennsylvania is NOT the center of the world with all of its laws revolving around it.

A great example is the motorised bike laws here in New Mexico where I reside...This is the motorised bike laws in its entirety for NM.

Section E. Motorized Bicycles​

Revised November 30, 2017

Motorized Bicycles are not considered to be mopeds or motorcycles.

By current MVD practice, motorized bicycles are considered to be bicycles (not mopeds or motorcycles) and are not subject to the titling and registration requirements of the Motor Vehicle Code.

They are nothing more than regular bicycles as far as the law is concerned HERE...Since riding a "bicycle" does not require a drivers license, even a drivers license is not required here to operate one of our homemade bikes...Commercial made bikes come under motorcycle laws here and are regulated...Try New Mexico motor vehicle laws in Pennsylvania and see just how far you will get...They don't apply in your state...and Pennsylvania laws have zero application here, or New Jersey for that matter...lol.

So STOP holding up your states class "C" licensing with your Honda Ruckus doing 35 MPH in Pennsylvania as the shining example and thinking that all states must have the same requirements that yours does, they do NOT.

You are beginning to piss me off lately.

You seem to like to keep interjecting lately when I am explaining the laws and how they apply to what someone is building and what to expect in THEIR state, Your questions like, (then why is such and such and so and so different for me with my Honda Ruckus, etc.), after I have posted a reply to someone else about what is happening with the laws and type of bike someone has built for use IN HIS STATE.

First off, I was not making any referrence whatsoever about your Honda Ruckus and how the laws are applying or not applying to its road use in YOUR STATE OF PENNSYLVANIA.

Your State of Pennsylvania and his State of New Jersey have two totally different sets of laws on the books and what applies to particular bikes and the different stages of licensing and registration depending what the bike is capable of power wise, build wise, state vehicle inspection wise, if that is applicable in any given state.

Personally I don't care...Ask YOUR State of Pennsylvania this question as to why their law is different then New Jersey's law regarding homemade motorised bicycles or your stock commercially made Honda Ruckus which comes under totally different motor vehicle laws right out of the factory door starting with Federal Law compliance, and then whatever state it is distributed in.

Don't insult my intelligence and waste My time by asking me questions like this again that have NO application whatsoever as to what I am replying to in the first place.

Pennsylvania is NOT the center of the world with all of its laws revolving around it.

A great example is the motorised bike laws here in New Mexico where I reside...This is the entiretly of it all.

Section E. Motorized Bicycles​

Revised November 30, 2017

Motorized Bicycles are not considered to be mopeds or motorcycles.

By current MVD practice, motorized bicycles are considered to be bicycles (not mopeds or motorcycles) and are not subject to the titling and registration requirements of the Motor Vehicle Code.

They are nothing more than regular bicycles as far as the law is concerned HERE...Since riding a "bicycle" does not require a drivers license, even a drivers license is not required here to operate one of our homemade bikes...Commercial made bikes come under motorcycle laws here and are regulated...Try New Mexico motor vehicle laws in Pennsylvania and see just how far you will get...They don't apply in your state, and Penn. laws have zero application here, or New Jersey for that matter...lol.

So STOP holding up your states class c licensing with your Honda Ruckus doing 35 MPH in Pennsylvania as the shining example and thinking that all states must have the same requirements that yours does, they do NOT.
Lots and lots of people here in Tennessee are believers in the National 50cc myth. They tell me I don't know what I'm talking about when I tell them Tennessee requires you to have a class C driver's license. They ask why my state is different than all the other states. I tell them the laws vary from state to state. Then I show them TN 55-8-101(35). They look surprised and say "Well they must have recently changed the law". I tell them "Yeah, they changed it recently; around 50 years ago".

Here in Tennessee some new bicycle laws have been added though, they all pertain to 3 classifications of electric bicycles. These laws were added in 2021. Before that Tennessee had no electric bicycle laws.
This is going to be interesting because there is already a faction who thinks that Federal laws legalise E-Bikes to be accepted in all of the USA just like regular pedal bikes...These states are making laws to either regulate them and their use or trying to find ways to outlaw them like New York City is trying to do because of all the battery fires caused by them in densely occupied apartment buildings with many deaths resulting, etc.

Back