using other chain with HT motors?

M

mastermechanic5

Im thinking about putting a jackshaft on my bike and using the bicycle freewheel so i have a 5 speed tranny but i was wondeing if i could use a differnt # chain with the HT motor or can i use a diffrent sproket with the chain that comes with the kit i belive its # 415 correct me if im wrong:)

Thanks,
Tom

From what I understand, a #41 chain will work:

From www.mcmaster.com
Specs for #41:
ANSI Chain Number 41
Style Single Strand
System of Measurement Inch
Pitch 1/2"
Material Steel
Working Load Range 100 - 499 lbs.
Roller Diameter .306"
Roller Width 1/4"
Specifications Met American National Standards Institute (ANSI)

I was reading on wikipedia and they said this...

The first digit(s) indicate the pitch of the chain in eighths of an inch, with the last digit being 0 for standard chain, 1 for lightweight chain, and 5 for bushed chain with no rollers.

So this means that standerd #40 chain would work with the HT motors and the #415 chain that comes with the kits is lightweight and bushed with no rollers?

According to the dimensions listed on mcmaster-carr site, #40 chain has 5/16" wide rollers compared to 1/4" wide rollers on the #41 chain. It also appears that 40 and 41 are available both as roller chain. :confused: I'd be worried that the #40 might be too wide.

Go check out the mcmaster site. They have cad drawings or at least exact dimensions for all their parts along with detailed specs.

Last edited:
Oh wow.. they even have half links on there! I need to order some parts! ;) Thatd be the easiest way to make a chain fit if you're off half a link like I am.

I run #41 chain and have for about 100 miles now and I love it. Much quieter, smoother. It is a bit wider, but I think rides on the sprocket better. I got 10 feet with master link at Tractor Supply Co., and also bought a spring tensioner, and both were less than $25.00

Another vote for #41- works great as an engine chain, bu probably too wide if you want to use one chain to run bicycle and engine through.

The #41 is already 25% stronger than the 415- why use #40?

well its not that i wanted to use #40 chain but i wanted to get my sprokets from surpluscenter.com and they only sell #40 sprokets really what im wondering is can i use the #415 chain that comes with the kit or #41 chain with that #40 sproket

Thanks,
Tom

If the #40 sprocket has teeth that are less than 1/4" in thickness , it'll work with the #41 chain. If it has thicker teeth, you will have problems, otherwise its interchangeable. A lot of sprockets are sold as #40/41 sot hey will work with both chains.

If the #40 sprockets you are looking at have stamped style teeth around 1/8' thick, it will probably also work with the stock 415 chain in addition to 40 and 41 too.

Last edited:
I run #41 chain and have for about 100 miles now and I love it. Much quieter, smoother. It is a bit wider, but I think rides on the sprocket better. I got 10 feet with master link at Tractor Supply Co., and also bought a spring tensioner, and both were less than $25.00

I did exactly this yesterday! My total came to about $18.:D

Back