using partial gear assembly from a schwinn

zackwyldefan

Local time
12:55 PM
hi i have a mountain bike with 21 gears. i dont know the terms so pardon me on that. the gears are divided by 7 and 3 combo that gives total 21 gears. i dont ride that bike much and i was thinking of using the gears from that bike on my chopper bike. problem is my chopper is a coaster and to get the rear gear assmbly on the bike i would have to change the wheel, and loose the whole big chopper tire look. so i was thinking that may be i can just use the three gear thingy from front on pedaling sprockets from schwinn n put em on the chopper. i would have to remove the stock pedal assembly on my chopper. i dont know if this will even work but to have three speed is way better than single speed.

add some sort of chain tensioner to take up the slack when you change from the larger to smaller chain ring and it would work, depending on a lot of variables of course. your chain line would have to be decent with the cranks on your other bike . the bottom bracket would need to be the same size or you would have to buy an adapter. i'm sure there is more but everything is possible!

Derailleur chains are narrower than single speed chains. You would need to match the chainwheel / cog widths.

Back