Using the Nu Vinci hub?

$1,500 for a replica zombie with wire wheels not the mag just basic with basic paint and NuVinchi hub and that 4 horse engine would be a bargain.
Wow.You really got something here,Zomby. This is how the Tuttles started.
You're gonna get famous!

Last edited by a moderator:
A NuVinci on a tadpole recumbent. Must shut off brain. ;)

Glad it is working out so well Zomby.

I copy you on that Pete. My tadpole is supposed to be here in the next week or so. And I've got the powerplant.

:cool:Vy, one of our forum members had an epiphany in another thread.

Vy stated that the NuVinci hub has a mounting surface for disc brake on the left side. if a driven sprocket can be adapted to that disc brake surface, then happy time engine owners and other frame mount engines could use the NuVinci hub without using jackshafts to access the right-side driven sprockets!

that's IFFF the left-side disc would reap the NuVinci's variable-speed benefits.

would anyone care to reason why the NuVinci hub would or would not work on the left side hub?

Myron

Would not work I think for the disc would be mounted on the axle body and not in conjunction with the sprocket. Now it would still work with a Happy time no jack shaft but no gears and that would make the 400 dollar investment pretty unreasonable.
When the popularity of these hubs grows to Motoredbikes,I bet it won't be long before those guys make a left sprocket hub adapter. That would be a milestone. It would be like if you don't have one,you are not cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Large I'm not sure I understand what you mean... I have seen pics that make it look like the disc part of the hub is separate from the axle. The brake part has to rotate with the wheel or the brakes would never work. I am convinced it will drive from the left just as it does from the right as long as it still has a freewheel for the pedals. Anyone that actually has one of the NuVincis care to comment? Zomby?

I think what LF is saying is that the disc mounted sprocket would not use the internal variable gearing, just as a disc mounted sprocket on a cassette hub won't use the multiple gears. The cassette hub is a lot cheaper way to go.

oic... Well dang now that I think about it ur probably right. Too bad... :( Well if not the nuvinci then at least we can use other disc brake wheels to mount a true sprocket and not worry about broken spokes. That at least is something.

I bet if I got my hands on that hub there would be some way to flip the hub and reverse the internals,then where the left sprocket would go would be on the right now driving the pedals...reverse the internals...

Back