Using white gas vs. regular unleaded

S

Standard Issue

Well, to get straight to the point, I'm wondering what would happen if I tried
running my new bike engine on white gas, aka coleman camping fuel.

I read a snippet on here somewhere else about it, but it was only mentioned
in passing. I did a little internet searching, but couldn't turn up much in the way
of hard data. I did find out that white gas is MUCH lower in octane, like in the
55-60 octane range as opposed to 87+.

Evidently some people out there run small two-strokes on white
gas mix quite successfully, and claim that it's better, cleaner, etc..
Still other claim that it's an abomination, will ruin your engine, etc..

Like most things in life, I'm sure that the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

I'm intrigued by the idea though, since white gas does not have that
strong gasoline smell. I personally don't like smelling gasoline all the time,
and if you are taking or keeping your bike indoors that is a huge plus.

What say you?

standard issue

I am curious about this as well. I've heard it has basically NO gas odor. I would love to get rid of the smell. I switched to Amsoil high performance 100:1 mix oil, that I mix 50:1, and has helped a bit with smoke and a little with performance.

As far as the octane goes....our engines are 6.0:1 compression as I have heard, so I can't imagine worrying toooo much about predetonation.

Although your engine may run on it, I wouldn't recommend it. It's not "gas" like "gas"oline. It's expensive too.

The only two strokes that I've know to run on "white gas and oil" are the old 30's model airplane ignition engines.

I just don't get it. What is with the fascination with using everything but gasoline in engines designed for gasoline? First there was sterno, then methanol, then ethanol, and now white gas which is nothing more than a very low octane fuel that is better suited for jet engines (it is kerosene like) not piston engines.

easy now, we're gearheads, altho on a budget...so we blow up a few, it happens :eek:

myself, i'm more into optimizing "safe" performance boosts, but it still takes a bit of learning...fuel & air-flow are kinda hard to tweak on these things, but i intend to figure it out along with the rest of the knuckleheads.

it's about fun as well as function 8)

I don't understand the hostility regarding the issue of what
people want to run in thier engines. For all I care, someone
can run thier engine on granny's "cough syrup" and a table
spoon of cod liver oil. Doesn't hurt me a bit.

I sure wouldn't do it, but i'd like to know how it turns out! :eek:

The whole deal with white gas is the (lack of) smell. That's a big plus.
Maybe I'm a bad gearhead, but I think that gasoline smells absolutely
wretched, and it gives me a headache after a while. If you store or bring
your bike inside for any length of time, the lack of gasoline stink is
a huge factor.

Anyway, these engines are very low compression, so I think that a low
octane fuel would probably run just fine. I'm not worried about performance,
such as it is.

Looking around the internet further, I have found a lot of anecdotal
stories of old-timers using white gas to run various small 2-strokes
with no apparent ill effects, but alas not much quantifiable data on
the matter as of yet.

I think when I get the engine all broken in, I'm gonna go ahead and
do it. I was really hoping that someone else around here had already tried
it, but maybe I'll get to be the first.

standard issue

These are low power, low compression engines.

They may well run on Coleman fuel, which as I stated and SI mentioned, has run small two strokes before. You may need to play with the timing if it's adjustable.

There will be an added expense and a difference in performance, not necisarily better. Also, the exhaust smell will still be there as before since the oil burned is a bit part of what you smell from the exhaust.

I would test and make sure that all the rubber bits in the fuel system were compatable with "white gas" before you use it.

"Hot rodding" is part of the spirit of these powered bikes, or "motored bikes" if you will. There are a lot of things you can try to "improve performance" that are reversable if they don't work, this (alternative fuels) is one of them.

I'll also add that "optimizing performance" can be defined in a lot of other ways than "more power".

White gas is naptha. If you are concerned about smell, I'd recommend 100LL aviation fuel. It definitely doesn't have the stink that regular gas has and you'll NEVER risk detonation on hot days that could occur with low octane naptha. In fact, naptha's octane level is so low it is better measured as cetane instead of octane. Naptha (white gas) is basically a light kerosene. Yes, it can be run in low compression 2 strokes and is commonly used in engines that have some sort of inherent cooling to blow air across the cylinder head whether it be a propeller on a model airplane or a small fan as part of the output shaft.

The only draw back with 100LL besides cost is that the engine may be harder to start (it isn't as volatile as gas) in colder weather and you'll get additional deposit buildup due to the fact that it doesn't combust fully in such a low compression engine.

Hey rcjunkie...I wonder what would happen if you tried to run one of these on model fuel?!?

Just kidding..... :eek:

The bottom line is these were designed to run on gasoline and oil mix. When I get mine, the first thing I'm going to do is run it @ 36/1 for break in, then cut it back to 50/1 for running.
I have already run several engines that call for 24/1 @ 50/1 with no problems.

I am not afraid!

Last I knew, naptha was pretty smelly and it burns like heck when you get it on your skin...more so than gasoline.

Back