V2 Motobecane 460 8 speed

Hmm... I wonder if I can just go to 10 speed on the cheap and boom problem solved! I'll need to convert it all from 8spd, so I need an appropriate cassette, a shadow + derailleur, a 10spd shifter and e-bike chain. Do 10 spd shifters come in the trigger style?
Yes, Shimano 10 speed shifters are trigger shifters. The cassette fits the same freehub; but the spacing between sprockets is closer and the thickness of the sprockets is thinner, requiring the narrower X10e chain, and (presumably) making them easier to bend; but also the tooth counts are (normally) closer.
You'll have to make two more shifts to get from 1st to top gear (obviously), and with each shift ratio being closer you might just be letting off the throttle to shift too frequently to be practical.
10 speed cassettes and shifters are also considerably more expensive than the old 8 speed stuff.. especially since you already have the 8 speed cassette.

In my opinion the ideal combination is 8 speed cassette and ESP gripshifter, 9 speed X9e chain and 10 speed XT Shadow Plus derailleur.

9 speed chain used on an 8 speed cassette should have less chance of catching on the adjacent sprocket and "ghost shifting" which should help protect the cassette sprockets and chain against damage.

Of course you're welcome to prove my opinions wrong! :)

I have 2 modes for shifting. Easy on the throttle and 1 gear at a time or hard on it and skip 2-3 gears revved out. Since I remounted the engine WAY straighter things are flawless as it sits. The 8mm motor chain needs a 1/2 link but its ok being this tight. The tensioner still moves a bit.

I definitely want to get a shadow + i just need the appropriate shifter or a way to mod the 10spd derailleur to shift correctly on an 8spd trigger.

Re-welded my expansion pipe in a better position with a better suited flange... It sounds mean, performs better! looks way better too!
15223686523791756868635.jpg

I definitely want to get a shadow + i just need the appropriate shifter or a way to mod the 10spd derailleur to shift correctly on an 8spd trigger.
I guess some sort of "travel agent" would do it, if you can get or make something with the right ratio. Rear/ 8 speed trigger shifters are right hand side only so would be awkward to use with the common right hand side twist throttle. You would need to keep the left hand side thumb lever throttle.
Friction shifters have no indexing, so as long as there's sufficient total cable travel that should work fine with any number of speeds.. except it is a little bit fiddly finding the right position rather than just trusting the indexing.

I guess some sort of "travel agent" would do it, if you can get or make something with the right ratio. Rear/ 8 speed trigger shifters are right hand side only so would be awkward to use with the common right hand side twist throttle. You would need to keep the left hand side thumb lever throttle.
Friction shifters have no indexing, so as long as there's sufficient total cable travel that should work fine with any number of speeds.. except it is a little bit fiddly finding the right position rather than just trusting the indexing.

I know it's improper but if I used a friction shift lever and de-tented it with a pin or spring in the correct placement it would be ok I think...

Back