V2 Motobecane 460 8 speed

That should be the same chain but without electroplating. No experience yet, I'm in the process of getting a pre-owned SBP Shift Kit from a forum member; but the X9e / X10e EPT is what I am going to use with the "clutched" XT Shadow Plus derailleur and 8 speed SRAM ESP old school gripshifter.
If the e-bike chain will hold up then it needs rust protection, for me, as it extremely salty where I ride.. and I loathe rusty chains!

That should be the same chain but without electroplating. No experience yet, I'm in the process of getting a pre-owned SBP Shift Kit from a forum member; but the X9e / X10e EPT is what I am going to use with the "clutched" XT Shadow Plus derailleur and 8 speed SRAM ESP old school gripshifter.
If the e-bike chain will hold up then it needs rust protection, for me, as it extremely salty where I ride.. and I loathe rusty chains!
Oh well expect more parasitic loss from all the chains and the JS on a sbp... Than I'm experiencing with my 5:1 reverse rotation trans.

But again, that's only what I have read. I have never had a full SBP kit, heck I got a basket case CG motor once. After I ported the cylinder and cleaned up the casting flaws I traded it for a GoPed expansion pipe! LOL I never tested anything but compression and never heard it run till after I traded it! It was fast enough for him... I was unimpressed.

Oh well expect more parasitic loss from all the chains and the JS on a sbp... Than I'm experiencing with my 5:1 reverse rotation trans.

But again, that's only what I have read. I have never had a full SBP kit, heck I got a basket case CG motor once. After I ported the cylinder and cleaned up the casting flaws I traded it for a GoPed expansion pipe! LOL I never tested anything but compression and never heard it run till after I traded it! It was fast enough for him... I was unimpressed.
I'd say it's a mechanical certainty! But that's okay, it won't be my only bike.. and I know a few tricks, so I'll do what I can to minimise the drivetrain losses.
I'm so used to pedalling everywhere unassisted that any motor feels amazing to me. :)

I like your perspective man! I fell in love with my first Motobecane 400ht! As a pedal bike. Then put on a GEBE sheave and HD wheel and made my own mount setup for a 26cc GoPed motor! Did 40+mph! It was stolen 3-4 years ago :,( so I had to make V2! I've been tooling with this one on occasion... to make it as good as it sits. Its really fun with the 11:74! "My bad!" 30: 8spd cassette. The e-bike chain will be my next one ;) and I'm going to sandwich the chain with another sprocket outboard of the other.
20120513200457.jpg

Attachments

• 20120521092542.jpg
    20120521092542.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 249
  • 20120521092614.jpg
    20120521092614.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 242
Today I found that if I drop the chain onto the spacers I can put it back on with the toe of my boot! Its gonna save lots of time! I REALLY want a shadow XT now! I'd love the clutched one but the regular 1 will help with the stiffer springs and 1 less pivot point... Thanks furry! A whole new world before IGH!

I'm going to do a flyby tomorrow I swear... If it will upload I can't attest too.

Today I found that if I drop the chain onto the spacers I can put it back on with the toe of my boot! Its gonna save lots of time! I REALLY want a shadow XT now! I'd love the clutched one but the regular 1 will help with the stiffer springs and 1 less pivot point... Thanks furry! A whole new world before IGH!
I can't speak for the USA but where I am in the UK there's plenty of good used XT Shadow and Shadow Plus derailleurs, and the price difference is very little.
The main difference is the actuation (cable pull) ratio. All the Shadow Plus derailleurs are ten speed and have around a 1.2:1 ratio.
Where as the Shadow 9 speed derailleurs will work with any 8 speed Shimano compatible (1.7:1) gripshifter, the Shadow Plus derailleurs require you to use the matching ten speed trigger shifter and ten speed cassette, or an old SRAM ESP (1.1:1) or SRAM Exact Actuation (1.3:1) gripshifter in order to work with your cassette in a (very cool) custom "Sramano" 8 speed system.

(Confusingly, the Shimano 1.7:1 ratio is commonly referred to as "2:1", and the SRAM 1.1:1 and 1:3:1 are usually referred to as being "1:1", so just look for the "ESP"! ;))

Well that sucks! I have a good shimano shifter brake combo that I'm used too. I will not use a twist shift! It has to be a suicide style lever or the ratchet style /click shifter that I use already. I REALLY wish a company would make a 8spd shifter for the left side! Id like to put on a twist throttle! If I am confined to the unclutched SXT derailleur because of my shifter so be it! I just need more chain tension... That clutched one would fix the chain drop issue I think though!

Well that sucks! I have a good shimano shifter brake combo that I'm used too. I will not use a twist shift! It has to be a suicide style lever or the ratchet style /click shifter that I use already. I REALLY wish a company would make a 8spd shifter for the left side! Id like to put on a twist throttle! If I am confined to the unclutched SXT derailleur because of my shifter so be it! I just need more chain tension... That clutched one would fix the chain drop issue I think though!
I am confident that it would.
Yeah, I always preferred the trigger shifters too! I'm already getting used to a gripshifter (inverted) on the left though, as I'm using that for my (pedal) rear gears on my first build. I have the STX (Shadow) derailleur and it's not amazing, fine for pedal power but XT (Shadow) is nicer.
I already got an XT (Shadow Plus) and ESP gripshifter for a Shift Kit build so I'm just going to have to get used to inverted gripshifting!

Hmm... I wonder if I can just go to 10 speed on the cheap and boom problem solved! I'll need to convert it all from 8spd, so I need an appropriate cassette, a shadow + derailleur, a 10spd shifter and e-bike chain. Do 10 spd shifters come in the trigger style?

Back