Vacuum motor ebike?

mark20

Local time
10:46 AM
Well, i salvaged this motor from are old vaccum (don't worry, it was in the trash anyway)
And i was wondering if it would be powerful enough to propel someone say 20-25mph. Its a universal motor so I only goes one way.
I was thinking about using 2 hoverboard batteries in series to give it the extra juice that it might need. Also this one has a alternator so I can run a headlight as well (although not for very long)
Thoughts? How the hell i am going to mount it i dont know (thinking on 3d printing a mount of some kind) its going to probably be a friction drive (need to weld on a bmx peg to it)

All this is currently in the air. So any thing will help!
Batterys im planning on using

Attachments

• 20200327_143737.jpg
    20200327_143737.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 565
  • 20200327_143730_HDR.jpg
    20200327_143730_HDR.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 513
  • 20200327_142351.jpg
    20200327_142351.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 592
  • 20200327_143722.jpg
    20200327_143722.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 571
I love that you're doing it yourself. Hubs are too cheap for me to consider experimenting with the motor.
I dont imagine the motor will have the torque ever, or if overamping can produce the torque, I doubt the motor can stay cool enough at the power you need to push through it. I would overclock a purpose made 250W hub motor to 750W peak because other people have done it.
My 500W e-moped has a top speed around 23mph.

I love that you're doing it yourself. Hubs are too cheap for me to consider experimenting with the motor.
I dont imagine the motor will have the torque ever, or if overamping can produce the torque, I doubt the motor can stay cool enough at the power you need to push through it. I would overclock a purpose made 250W hub motor to 750W peak because other people have done it.
My 500W e-moped has a top speed around 23mph.
Yea im hoping on making it like a weed eater friction drive. As i could help it out by pedaling from a start. It does rev pretty high with just 12v. im going to gear it to compensate

You can try and weld a frame from scrap metal. Speaking from personal experience the most difficult thing is aligning the tubes/pipes and avoiding the whole thing bending while welding

It's hard to tell because it's so blurry, but it looks like the sticker on the motor says 120V AC. If that's the case, there's a few problems.

-AC motors are different beasts than DC motors, and need AC to run. You could get an inverter to convert the battery output from DC to AC and step it up to the required voltage, but this is only half the issue.
-The speed of an AC motor is determined by the frequency of the input, not the voltage. You would need some way of controlling this, otherwise the motor would just run at a constant speed.

It could be done, but is it worth it? I don't know. Plus I'm really not sure it would have enough torque anyway, since all a vacuum needs to do is spin a fan.

It's hard to tell because it's so blurry, but it looks like the sticker on the motor says 120V AC. If that's the case, there's a few problems.

-AC motors are different beasts than DC motors, and need AC to run. You could get an inverter to convert the battery output from DC to AC and step it up to the required voltage, but this is only half the issue.
-The speed of an AC motor is determined by the frequency of the input, not the voltage. You would need some way of controlling this, otherwise the motor would just run at a constant speed.

It could be done, but is it worth it? I don't know. Plus I'm really not sure it would have enough torque anyway, since all a vacuum needs to do is spin a fan.
Universal motors should work on both. Either AC or DC if im not mistaken

Its an universal motor, should be pretty powerful, I salvaged a 1400w one. You can run it at DC but big problem si stepping up the voltage to 120/240v. I'm wondering can you use an inverter and potentiometer before it to control power output of the motor, other option would be to pit batteries in series and use DC only but then you need speed controller that can handle that much voltage

Back