Value in internal shifter?

James98189741

Local time
9:24 PM
I ran across an old huffy w a 3 gear internal shifter in back wheel. Could this help a motorized bicycle in any way?

Good ?. Don't know if you'd need a jackshaft kit or not. Thinking it only works off of the right-hand sprocket, dunno.

I ran across an old huffy w a 3 gear internal shifter in back wheel. Could this help a motorized bicycle in any way?
It would depend on who built the hub as some are a bit stronger than others. but people do consider the 3 speed geared hubs to be more ideal for jackshaft driven bikes as they are stronger than your typical freewheel.

The late KC Vale built several 3 speed IGH shifter bikes both gas and electric. You'd need a shift kit with a standard Shimano Nexus and a standard Strumey Archer. If you get a fixed geared 3 speed Strumey Archer IGH it can be used as a jack shaft transmission to drive the left side of the wheel; meaning no shift kit needed.

The late KC, wow! He and I shared a few words over the years. Sorry to hear that!

Sturmey Archers are tough. The Nexus hangs in there. I have run several. Currently have one running thru the bottom bracket by a 3hp Briggs via an auto clutch. Auto clutches are easier on the Nexus. Have to have a recoil start as they freewheel, excepting the fixie hub.

Here's a 4 stroke and an electric KC did using a 3 speed IGH.
2_4Sshift12-R1280.jpg
2_ElectricRoverR-1280.jpg

Back