Vegetable oil

steamburn

Local time
2:51 AM
This is a tentative and out of the box idea:
Has anybody done or heard of mixing cooking oil with gasoline?
Vegetable has been used in 2 cycle engines before, example, castor oil, and vegetable oil can be burned in diesel engines.

It gums up and makes everything a mess and you'll hate yourself for doing it. It burns really smoky and since the temperatures involved are way past the point where it will just vaporize and immediately catch fire it wont be around long enough to help lubricate the motor once hot.

Castor oil is just more resilient to being heated than other plant based oils are, that's why it's used like it is (or mostly was.) Almost all oils will combust if compressed and heated enough, it's a form of autoignition (when something gets hot enough to start burning without actually being lit on fire, which is what a spark plug normally does to gas.) You could also ignite gasoline, alcohols, and flammable gasses in the same way.

Certainly if it worked people would be doing it, vegetable oil is extremely cheap compared to 2 stroke oil, so there would be a big user base if it was feasible (as in not a bad idea.)

Thank you for the info. I’ll stick to 2cycle oil.
No please do it! We're always in search of people willing to conduct experiments!! Just place your body parts on the table you are willing to live without and we'll get started with the application process.

I've done it. Poulan chain saw that I hated. 16:1 Canola oil. Ran maybe 5 minutes and seized. Piston welded to chrome cylinder and took a gouge out of both. Not recommended for further study...

I've done it. Poulan chain saw that I hated. 16:1 Canola oil. Ran maybe 5 minutes and seized. Piston welded to chrome cylinder and took a gouge out of both. Not recommended for further study...
There's a sacrid hatred for the China girl in all of us, it wouldn't be a bad thing to see one die in this fashion. It's like watching Danica Patrick crash her car, it's expected, wanted, and kind of deserving.

This is a tentative and out of the box idea:
Has anybody done or heard of mixing cooking oil with gasoline?
Vegetable has been used in 2 cycle engines before, example, castor oil, and vegetable oil can be burned in diesel engines.
It's probably possible but why risk it.
A bike shop mechanic told me to bring back the luster of your bicycle paint job is to wipe it with a linseed oil rag. How long takes to get dirty I don't know.

Back