Villiers attachment on 1950s Phillips

Sinelle - There are a set of planes for a bike that could be made today, it was published in the 50's PM magazine. It used a wheel rim for a drive sheave, the only thing you have to do is make the engine sheave larger or it will be low geared. your engine is rated at low HP so it might work out just rite. It would be a find if you could fetch an old rim with the short sides and wide, you could then possibly run a leather belt. In the article it said there was enough friction that the belt need not set in a tight grove, he just put a layer of rubber for traction. Have fun, Dave

PS: If you would like to see the article I think I can find the link.

Did you mean these plans Egor? http://www.vintageprojects.com/mini-bike/power-bike.html

Those plans have been a big influence on my own project :D

Yes that is exactly the one I was talking about. The engine in that bike is a fun engine from B&S, it has a lot of moving parts on the outside, but is hard to find now. I have thought about building one also, I would like to see one done, I have an old Kohler I have been saving for a project like that. Have fun, I think you are on the rite path.

What type of villiers engine is it? I once worked out how to fit a 2f onto a bike frame using a homemade rack. The idea was that I would build a rack from tubes, weld it together and clamp it onto a bike. Them engines have two speed transmissions which is handy.

BSA

What type of villiers engine is it? I once worked out how to fit a 2f onto a bike frame using a homemade rack. The idea was that I would build a rack from tubes, weld it together and clamp it onto a bike. Them engines have two speed transmissions which is handy.

BSA

This is the Villiers engine I use :D

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9818/villiersmowerdj6.jpg

Easy to find, very reliable and cheap to buy.

Engines like the 2f are not easy to find here. There's an incomplete Villiers motorcycle engine in a grotty state on Trademe (our version of e.bay) at the moment for $NZ150.00 :eek:

sianelle! its so wonderful to hear someone of the the female gender so knowledgeable with engines & bikes ect. your a credit to your gender as well as some of the other ladies in this room. where did you pick up the knowledge of small engines ect & when did you start motorizeing bikes ect? your a great asset to the forum! keep up the good work!

My Dad and brothers were either in the motor or metal trades so I learned quite a bit from them. When I got my first car, - a 1950s Austin, - my Dad said that if I was going to drive a car I'd better learn how to maintain it properly. As it happens I've had a life long liking for riding bicycles as well as a general interest in the aged end of the motor vehicle spectrum. I've owned various cars and motorcycles from the 1950s, but I will confess it's the vehicles from the 'heroic wire and string' period of motoring that fascinate me most of all. There's no way that I can afford anything that's a genuine pre-1920s vehicle, but I can get awfully close to it by building semi-replicas in my own garage workshop :D
Actually physically adapting an engine into a bicycle frame is a new experience for me, but for more years than I can remember I've thought about doing it. Now with my children well grown into adulthood and making their own way in the world along with the fact of my early retirement I've finally got the time to mess around and do it.

I reckon that villiers is pre war as I cant find an engine like that in my manual, but then the manual is aimed at autocycle users. Does it use the villiers automatic system or does it need petroil?

BSA

I reckon that villiers is pre war as I cant find an engine like that in my manual, but then the manual is aimed at autocycle users. Does it use the villiers automatic system or does it need petroil?

BSA

Yes it is a pre-war design and it uses petroil. An incredibly simple wee engine with plain bronze main bearings :D I love them.

no answer to my proposal? the wife said it was ok! so long as i took all my bad habbits with me! just kidding sianelle! but honestly you rock!

Back