Vintage bicycle enthusiasts. Need your help

INTP_ty

Local time
8:36 PM
21687146_184547458757142_7242083407298289034_o.jpg

My tires are too small. It's simply too rough for me. I'd swap the 27"s for 700's but there's not enough frame clearance for wider tires. I need to swap bicycles. I'm not interested in the beach cruiser frame style. I want the style I have - just with wider tires. Anyone know of any makes/models? I'm browsing CL and Ebay but not finding any....

Btw this is an eighties Vista

Ahh but have you measured? It looks like it's got more frame clearance than you're giving credit for here. It's definitely not narrower than any other bike, you see plenty of these things on bike nerd sites with 650B rims and big balloon tyres on.

What'll do you a world of good for comfort is to lower tyre pressure a little bit and fit a sprung saddle, those can't be beat for getting rid of the shocks and bumps. I also strongly advise putting your front brake back on, and perhaps doing something about those handlebars.

I never understand why when I see pictures of American bikes, they've always got the handlebars angled so the ends point up into space. It looks so uncomfortable holding your wrists at that angle and your elbows up in the air...

I’m 5’9” & the bicycle is made for someone who is 6’2”. I need to elevate the handlebars or my back hurts from rising it. It is what it is.

There's elevating the handlebars, and then there's tilting the handlebars. What you need is a higher stem. No point getting your hands high just by tilting the bars upwards, because then your wrists are bent and you have to hold your elbows up and etc.

Trust me you'll feel a lot better swapping the stem out and tilting them back down, because your upper body will be able to relax. Look at dutch bikes, that's the riding position you're trying to get.

There's elevating the handlebars, and then there's tilting the handlebars. What you need is a high stem. No point getting your hands high if they're the wrong angle. Trust me you'll feel a lot better because your upper body will be able to relax.

There's a bicycle recycling center about 2 hours from here. I have to wait until spring.

And as far as the brakes go, the one I'm using in the rear works pretty good. There's more cows where I live than people. Small town USA. And I've learned the less loose parts I have on the bicycle, the better.

Back