Vintage look headlight, turn signals, tail, brake

The LEDs I am using are red in the back and amber in front. I don't know what a "white" LED would look like, but I would think (pure speculation) an LED set designed to replace a turn or stop lamp would not through enough light to be a headlight- but with more than one and a reflector....

Also, I ordered a universal motorcycle flasher from Superbright LEDs yesterday. My attempts to get a thermal flasher to work without adding much complexity were not successful. The 552 flasher is supposed to work with lower loads, but it did not work with 2 LED turn signals and a 250 ma indicator light.

Also, I ordered a universal motorcycle flasher from Superbright LEDs yesterday. My attempts to get a thermal flasher to work without adding much complexity were not successful. The 552 flasher is supposed to work with lower loads, but it did not work with 2 LED turn signals and a 250 ma indicator light.
If that fails, go the relay circuit route that I posted, above. It will work. You'd be wanting one of the micro-relays, about the same volume as a sugar cube, and not the big chunky ones. The higher the coil resistance, the smaller the capacitor you'll need.

I will try it if needed- thanks for posting the design.

Hopefully will finish the turn signals and maybe the stop/tail light this weekend.

Got some more done.

I made the front turn signal housings...the second set took about 1/4 the time of the first. I also removed the amber LEDs from the bulb housing and soldered the leads on. One different thing there is that the only amber lights I could find were 3157 replacements which have the newer style blade base and are dual brightness. It was easier to get LEDs out because all I had to do was straighten the leads and press on them to slide the LEDs out. I then tested to see which lead was the bright lead and soldered the lead to that one and a ground. I clipped the second ground and the dim lead. Like I did with the red lights for the rear, I coated the rear of the circuit board and edge of the board with silicone to block the flow of stray electrons.

On the brake/tail light, the clearance light I got had a base for a single filament bulb. I cut it out (which held the bracket to the light housing). I then brazed a base for a dual filament lamp inside the housing and brazed the bracket back on. I am going to get a 1157 red LED replacement bulb for the stop/tail.

Finally, after getting the garage up to 60 degrees (best I could do on a 20 degree day), I primed and got the first coat of paint on the turn signal housings and tail housing.

Hopefully I will have everything but the headlight done this week.

Where are you getting your base and mounts for the lamps? My junk box is failing me.

I need a standard base for an 1157 that I can insulate so it does not come in contact with the bike frame. I will admit that I have been too lazy to go to the auto parts store and find a light that I can scavenge parts out of.

I got the bases at Autozone. Advance or Western Auto would probably have them too. If you just need a base, they have them for just a couple of bucks. No need to tear a lamp apart.

The flasher from Superbrightleds.com works great. I tested it with one front signal, one rear and a small blue neon indicator (which is the load it will have in operation).

Here is a link to the flasher:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/LFS-1-PIN.html

It's listed as being for universal fit on motorcycles.

Below is a pic

Attachments

• moto_PIN.jpg
    moto_PIN.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 294
I just bought an old Polaroid case on ebay to house the battery. Will be looking for a matching case for the other side.

Attachments

• case.jpg
    case.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 295
OK, it's been a while, but I have the stop/tail light mounted and the rear turn signals. As you can see, they are not hooked up yet, but I had them all working correctly before I installed them.

...and the last pic is just to show my oldest daughter and wife have style.

Attachments

• DSC00205-2.jpg
    DSC00205-2.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 307
  • DSC00207-2.jpg
    DSC00207-2.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 330
  • DSC00209-2.jpg
    DSC00209-2.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 351
  • DSC00210-2.jpg
    DSC00210-2.jpg