Viper friction drive set up

i gotta say bs.theres no way u could balance a roller with jb weld the same as knurling it.and i would rthink that the sand would rub off and become smooth jb weld.cant hurt to try tho.

A rollers diameter is small enough that a thin coating of jb cant possibly take it noticeably off balance.

You could also hit the roller with a bunch of little tack welds using a mig/arc/tig welder and sand a bit to get the really sharp pieces off.. This will probably last longer than JB or knurling.

Thoroughly mix the epoxy with aquarium sand and the epoxy and aggregate will wear down together. I don't use JB but a clear paste epoxy I have for other bonding jobs.
Lay the mix out in to an even, shallow depth in a flat, narrow container and roll the spindle with one pass through the mix.
Turn the roller 1/4 turn every 15 min. until it begins to set to prevent sag.
There is no perceptible imbalance in the roller, the tire deflection more than compensates for any minute irregularities.

u guys r right.jb weld is not going to throw the balance off enough to matter.but by the time u take the roller off.get jb weld and sand.do the job.let it set up.u might as well spend ten bucks and find a machinist.thats what i meant.

Knurling a drive spindle is certainly a good idea and offers improvement over a smooth metal surface.
Actually, my experiments with aggregate and adhesive were more towards creating wet weather rollers and attempts at building up worn spindles.

I have a Viper kit that I attached a sanding pad with extra strength epoxy. 500 miles later and it's still holding up. Runs well on wet road surfaces. Takes off much faster than my Staton knurled roller and doesn't really tear up the tire as I thought it should have.

Attachments

• viper roller sanding pad.jpg
    viper roller sanding pad.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 310
Update: Got caught in the rain 2 miles out while riding the Viper. Sanding pad drive roller got me back safely with no slipping going 15 MPH. The only problem was the stripes painted on the sides of the road being too slippery for my tires in the rain. Impressed that the Tecumseh was able to run in the rain.

Switched the Viper bike kit to another bike with brand new road tread tires and noticed sanding roller was rapidly eating into the rubber. Apparently the new tire had softer rubber than the old Kevlar ones it replaced. My solution was to lightly take a file to the sanding pad roller and make it less abrasive.

That's amazing! I like that !!!
A sanding pad epoxied on the roller... That's great!

...I was about to say get an arc welder to run a bunch of beads along the length of the roller, or even score it kinda shallow with a thin disk on an angle grinder...

Sanding pad looks easier, and it's apparently effective. That's what counts!

CPU, what kind of sanding pad, specifically, would you advise?

Tnx,
rc

Back