VM 18 Carburetor hookup help

lazar26

Local time
6:55 AM
Hey guys I’m looking at getting a VM18 off of eBay, seem to be around $60. Was told this is one of the best all around carbs, especially when it comes to performance. I’ve built several motorbikes before, but I’m building a little more of a performance bike and learning as I go, however I’m a little confused on using this carburetor to hook up to my YD100. Is there some sort of bracket to buy to adapt it to the current intake manifold or do people usually just go with the hose clamps and rubber tubing to get it in there?

so far I have one of them Zelda screaming demon bikes through their sale, my YD100, a modified YZ85 pipe, upgraded CDI and NGK plug, upgraded clutch pads, and a few others on a 36T sprocket. Just wanting to do something with the carb.

You need to make an intake or rig something up to use the vm18 carb. It does fit on the oz Reed valve as it comes with 3 different intake sizes. You would have to window your piston if you want the reed to work, or you could just remove the Reed cage from the housing and just use the empty housing as your intake.

Okay, thanks for the reply! That gives me somewhere to start for it anyways. I’ll most likely have to use an empty reed as you stated, being I don’t have fabrication tools at my disposal. Thank you!

I was thinking though, could I potentially use some PBC pipe as like an adapter to fit onto the stock manifold and just tighten the piss out of it or is that not advised?

I believe there are options to where I can purchase one with. I wanted to ask how to fit it before I went about purchasing. However, I believe they are 43mm and my intake is a 40mm.

I believe there are options to where I can purchase one with. I wanted to ask how to fit it before I went about purchasing. However, I believe they are 43mm and my intake is a 40mm.
Inside measurement of the stock intake manifold is 14mm and the outside is 19mm, so if your new carb is 19mm inside it's not that much of a drop and a piece of hose should work.

Inside measurement of the stock intake manifold is 14mm and the outside is 19mm, so if your new carb is 19mm inside it's not that much of a drop and a piece of hose should work.
That’s what I was thinking, trying something like that. Maybe that should be good enough to make it work adequately. Thanks for all the tips!

I totally forgot you can get shims for the intake. They come in different sizes.

I totally forgot you can get shims for the intake. They come in different sizes.

oh that’s perfect! Thank you!

Back