VM18 carb mount too wide for intake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will'smotobikes19

Local time
9:34 PM
I'm having more problems with my build. Where the Mikuni VM18 clamps it is much wider than my RSE reed valve intake. Could I get a thicker plastic shim and use that or do I have to get one of those case reed valves with the wider pipe mount. I'd prefer just getting the shim since I already have alot of money into this.

I am no expert but it is my understanding from the previous forum threads that the RSE reed valve was not designed to be used with an 18mm Mikuni carb..
The RSE reed valve has only a small area even when fully open which many have reported actually restricts the intake flow at high rpm, and a reed valve engine's increased intake duration means that, rather than a quick gasp like a P.P. engine, it takes a longer inhale more slowly so it really doesn't need or want a large diameter carb that would further slow air velocity over the venturi.
In short, the RSE reed valve renders the 18mm carb redundant.
I believe you might find that the stock carb's diameter is more appropriate for the RSE reed valve; or that a P. P. intake or perhaps the four petal OZ reed valve is better suited to your 18mm Mikuni carb.

Last edited:
I haven't actually ran either yet but have both sitting here and if you are running a larger carb I would lean towards the proper case reed valve setups over trying to adapt the RSE setup.

The RSE reed valve is a very tiny, restrictive looking piece. It matches up to the stock NT carb, but not the larger ones. With the higher end kits that come with the larger clone carbs like the Keihin, they get a proper sized reed valve in a boxed intake to house it like on a dirt bike. After seeing both side by side, I have a hard time convincing myself to run the RSE valve that looks like a huge restriction vs the full size one. Here are both styles next to each other(click for full size):
RSEvsCased1.jpgRSEvsCased2.jpgRSEvsCased3.jpg

Well I noticed that the bigger reed valves come with a carb already. I don't want to get a reed valve with crappy petals. If I can't get my money back for the rse I'll use it on the other engine. I also need an air filter for the mikuni. The 1/4 aluminum for the spacer still hasn't come in yet.

Does anyone know any reed valve intakes that a VM18 will fit on? I'm looking for just the reed valve because I have the carb. The ID of the clamp part is 23mm. I just can't find the right thing to use, I see the ZEDA OZ reed valve is sold out on one site and on another it's the wrong size manifold. I also found it for sale as a bundle with a cylinder, piston and other stuff but I want just the reed valve. All the rest are either similar to the one I have now or won't work hmm.

Last edited:
Jlzeda on Amazon has the OZ reed with 19 and 21mm carb adapters. Can't find the reed valve with 3 adapters right now but if I stumble on it I'll post a link.

Actually in the q&a part they say they are sending out the 23mm adapter separate and free of charge.

One guy said it did not come with it. I honestly don't know with the stuff I've heard about Zeda's stuff. Would I have to ask for the 23mm manifold to get it or what?

It's not Zeda motor sports, it's JLZEDA. Search JLZEDA OZ reed on Amazon and it will show up. They are sending out the 23mm adapter by request. I would message them first to make sure. I have bought from them and never had an issue.

Moderators Note:
Please be aware that Zeda Motor Sports and Robert Bianchi have nothing to do with Zeda itself which is a manufacturer of Zeda Motors in China.
A reputable vendor of the Zeda line of motors can be found at bicycle-engines.com

They now offer the 23mm vm18 intake for oz reed for $9. Also they lowered the price to $40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back