Voltage of the magneto?

Frankenstein

Deceased - Frankenstein 1991 - 2018
Local time
3:29 AM
Where the TV show forensic files is produced.
Generally what is the voltage and amperage of the magneto while running?

I'm sure it's not much but still interested in knowing, I'm still on the hunt to make a source of electricity that is easy and powerful enough for lights...

it's 30 volts with no load. amperage is dependent on the load resistance. the correct question is what the wattage is since wattage is volts multiplied by amps.
using the white wire as a source for lights can shorten the life of the stator coil and change its electrical characteristics which changes spark timing.
best to look elsewhere. I used rechargable batteries powering LEDs

it's 30 volts with no load. amperage is dependent on the load resistance. the correct question is what the wattage is since wattage is volts multiplied by amps.
using the white wire as a source for lights can shorten the life of the stator coil and change its electrical characteristics which changes spark timing.
best to look elsewhere. I used rechargable batteries powering LEDs
Actually I was going to modify a bolt to bolt the bevel gear on to have 2 heads of a bolt welded together, that would hold a mag and spin at the same speed, modify a clutch cover to accept an insulated magneto, then pull the power from that like the cdi pulls from the normal mag... So what kind of wattage can I expect? I can alter my end result with rectifiers and buck boosters to regulate my energy output before the battery.

Estimated wattage? that's a question for an electrical engineer, which I am not.
Depends mostly on the strength of the magnet and the number of turns of the wire along with its thickness (because thin wire presents resistance)

Think it's similar to the wattage from that wonderful creations thing on eBay? Do those arms on the normal magneto actually do anything? In a transformer the iron ring that looks similar, minus the second wrap of wire, is the part that transfers the magnetic field from one coil to the second.

Kinda off topic on that part.

If wonderful creations can yield about half an amp from the same magnet with using a different number of winds to get 12 volts then wouldn't it be safe to presume that the normal mag would also yield half an amp when the wattage is calculated from the voltage? Same magnet so same energy field?

yes same energy field from the magnet but the design of the coil determines how it transforms that magnetic energy into electrical energy.

And presuming the coil is being wound by somebody or something who/that can actually wind a good coil, then what would be the wattage? They are both roughly the same size, if anything the wonderful creations are behind a few million coils as far as production goes, the Chinese have some reliable system to make them..

What is the wattage/amps/volts needed for the cdi to produce a reliable spark, or perhaps what is the wattage of a reliable spark?

10000 volts is good but with such a low amperage it's not going to do too much, too little amps (like 0.00amps) and the spark won't exist

your last sentence only pertains to the high voltage coil, not the stator coil.

I just now put a 1K (1000 ohm) load on my tester coil and rev'd it to around 1000 rpm and got 34 volts at 34mA which equates to 1.15 watts.

I think that is typical for a stator coil. A lighting coil with a heavier gauge wire and less turns produces less voltage but more current.

Back