Wal-mart Genesis Onex 29", complete build!

I've been gone from the hobby for a couple years, and it's time to start again!

I previously built a cruiser from a Giant Simple, aluminum frame, cruiser. I loved it, but couldn't keep it through circumstances. Now I'm back and ready to roll! I've been reading and searching, and now have a plan.

I have ordered a Wal-mart 29" Genesis Onex, $162 after tax. I pick it up on Friday. I read all about the bike and builds and this and other sites, Rat Rod Bikes was one of the best regarding the actual bike. It requires a few simple upgrades to ensure reliability as a daily rider; rear hub rebuild, crank/pedal rebuild, and an over-all tightening and inspecting. I'll probably be changing the bars and strengthening the stem, swapping the cranks and pedals, modifying the rear hub, and replacing the stock seat and post. It's going to be a project, and we all know how those go!

I also ordered an 80cc kit off eBay for $140, shipped. I spent time looking at all the different options, from all the different sites. I noticed they all had the EXACT same items, free pieces included were even the same. Then I noticed that a lot of members had issues with several different vendors, no one was better than another. I decided the eBay protection was worth it, and i could sort to find a US seller. I've bought and sold lots of things on eBay, and when there's a problem they handle it. Not a lot of BS. It should be here in a few days, coming from New Jersey.

I'll be tearing that down as well, and rebuilding it. Everything will get inspected and tightened. Not a lot of upgrades planned on the motor, probably an exhaust and that's it. As long as the carburetor has no issues, it'll be just fine stock. I'm looking for reliability with simple maintenence.

I will be adding the CNC sprocket adapter. It will eliminate the issues caused by the 48 spoke setup and the stock sprocket. I haven't ordered it yet because I don't know the rear hub size... Any help on that would be appreciated if anyone reading this already has one. Once I know, it looks like a $40 purchase.

The bars will be 13" ape hangers, I already got them from bike berry for $15! They even have the 1" center for the larger stem, but are 7/8" bars for compatability with throttle grip and accessories.

Front brakes are going on for sure. I'm a big guy, and it's a big bike, the extra stopping power will be appreciated. I grabbed a pair of V-brakes for $15. The bike already has the mount, it'll be an easy addition.

That's the start. Next weekend looks like a busy one, hopefully I'll have a ready ride by the Monday, 4th of July, festivities! I'm planning on documenting as much as possible throughout the build, so please ask questions. It's hard to cover everything everyone is considering a question, but I'll certainly cover mine. I'm hoping this little chat will start a build worth reading. It was fun to read my old one again.

Ok, got things accomplished early this morning! Got the new CDI bolted on, got the gear bolt re-mounted (still not sure about that), and replaced the brake shoes.

The gear bolt still has me wondering of its right, but it rides so I'll just keep an eye on it. I couldn't get the 2 gears flush. The small gear won't press any tighter into the mount shaft, but it's still not flush with the clutch gear. It appears to be flush inside...? Any thoughts?

The CDI was pretty straight forward, and mounted up pretty clean. Not exactly made for a bike like the stock one. Some interesting zip tie action and it's on! Wow! Huge improvement to the engine. At running speed the vibration is so much less! That alone made it completely worth it. I still haven't taken it to speed, so any improvements there will probably not be noticed. I thoroughly enjoy the smoother ride though!

The brake shoes made a big improvement. Still not great, but much better! I got some triple compound ones. I think they were $10. They're even longer, with more surface area. Unfortunately it looks like one might be rubbing the tire. Out should I say, "smelled like..." I could smell rubber after my short test ride, but didn't notice anything drastic. It might've just been the new brakes...?

So now to put some more miles on it.

I like the bike, but the ride isn't the best.
The braking is bothering me more than anything.
I'm disappointed I didn't ride the bike before I bought one. I mean I sat on it in the store, and sized it up.
But actually riding one, tuned and tightened, I didn't.
Well, you can't expect much from a Wallyworld $150 toy bike to start start with.
The ape hangers don't help the 'feel' any either, personally I can't stand them but that's neither here nor there.

You can't put V-brakes on it, there are no Bosses for them, but you can add a pair of C-brakes on it using the fender mount holes like this $180 Micargi Touch Wally don't sell coaster brake build.

2_Macargi1200L.jpg

Note the rear C-brake mount is forward for the rear wheel.
Then just use a SBP $9 dual pull brake lever for the right on the handle bars to use both with one lever.

That gives you 3 brakes ;-}

Sorry, maybe my terminology is wrong. I have those same brakes. Same as the ones in the picture. And yes, the rear Erik look just like yours, I'll need to just drill through for the mount. I'd only a fender mount hole now. And yup, then a dual pull lever.

Sorry, maybe my terminology is wrong. I have those same brakes. Same as the ones in the picture. And yes, the rear Erik look just like yours, I'll need to just drill through for the mount. I'd only a fender mount hole now. And yup, then a dual pull lever.
Good man ;-}
No biggie, the terminology is hard to grasp at first.
Glad I could help ;-}

Ok, happy camper here!

I'd consider this build complete. I got my center mount kickstand mounted up, and she displays nicely!

I'm going to head out for a ride in a bit, I have a few local errands. Plus it's a gorgeous day, as you can see in the pictures!

I'm looking forward to a nice cruise!

Last edited:
So I'm not liking this rear hub. The bearings were crap, i expected that. I got replacements. The modification to the shoes didn't do much. I think I just want more. Here's a picture of the bearings, one of the original cages was bent. It has 7/32 size bearings.

Where did you order your new rear hub? Mine went on my genesis and was looking to get a new one. Thanks

Back