Walmart Special Cruisers.......

Potato_In_Exhaust

Local time
5:36 AM
Yeah. Them coaster brakes. How do I go about putting hand lever brakes on them? I'm talking about your regular ol' rim wall braking setup..... not your disk variety. Is it pretty much plug n' play after purchasing those universal brake kits?

Also.... what would I need to get in order to mount some type of front suspension on there? I plan to break the sound barrier with my bike and the thought of no suspension sounds a bit scary.

Yeah. Them coaster brakes. How do I go about putting hand lever brakes on them? I'm talking about your regular ol' rim wall braking setup..... not your disk variety. Is it pretty much plug n' play after purchasing those universal brake kits?

Also.... what would I need to get in order to mount some type of front suspension on there? I plan to break the sound barrier with my bike and the thought of no suspension sounds a bit scary.
If you're going to put on front suspension why not just get disc compatible forks?. I'd still recommend at least installing rear rim brakes. You should also consider an adjustable tension suspension seat post.

If you're going to put on front suspension why not just get disc compatible forks?. I'd still recommend at least installing rear rim brakes. You should also consider an adjustable tension suspension seat post.
I'm just trying to build something on a shoestring budget and not go all out like some of you crazy folks in here, hahaha. I would just rather prefer some type of hand lever braking setup..... and as far as disks go, I don't want to get into a mess and try to find mix n' match parts to try and make it work, unless it's pretty much a universal disk setup for all bicycles? I'm not too familiar with bicycle brake disks setup, I know that in motorcycles you can't just grab this caliper off of this bike and mount it to that bike. Know what I'm saying?

And as far as 'front suspension' goes..... I was thinking more along the lines of putting a cheap-O mountain bike front end. I mean, IF I can go that route it would be great since I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone (front brake setup as well)?

And as far as 'front suspension' goes..... I was thinking more along the lines of putting a cheap-O mountain bike front end. I mean, IF I can go that route it would be great since I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone (front brake setup as well)?
Sounds to me like your looking for a Dumpster special.
Just after Christmas people have thrown away their old Mt bikes
Keep your eyes open and ya just might find the front suspension your looking for These forks will have rim brakes too

Just measure the height on your steer tube and find a mountain bike fork to fit. There is the tube diameter to deal with too, make it a good fork though, a cheapo or broken one is going to cause a speed wabble.

I have a Cranbrook frame that I installed disc brakes onto with adapters.

I have disc brake-ready wheels with a 36 tooth sprocket mounted to the hub, then a 7 or 8mm spacer, then a 203mm rotor.

You might have to play with caliper standoff sizes or even combine two of them in order to get the right height.

Damien's bike is a coaster brake conversion to disc brakes. He has custom fabricated parts. I used his model as inspiration with BikeBerry disc brake adapters.

This is my Cranbrook disc brake conversion

whatthehellisthisimageallabout.jpg

I used one of these for a spacer between the sprocket and rotor. I drilled the threads out with a 7/32 I think (one bigger than a 3/16 bit) so they slid rather than needing to be threaded which would cause an unflush fit.
again-you-are-reading-my-secret-messages.jpg

I ran a MB in 2019 with cheap-o MTB forks. Every time I hit the brakes the fork suspension would flex. I didn't ride that bike for long. It was scary. It was a Granite Peak.

Oh I just saw you aren't interested in disc braking... nvm.

BikeBerry sells wheels with everything ready to go. You get the rotor, sprocket, spacer, calipers, and standoffs. Everything but the conversion adapters, cables and handles.

Back