Wanna-Be New Rider in Mississippi...

You seem to be a demanding person prone to berating those that don't achieve your level of service expectations.
How am I demanding? And sure, I'm prone to berating those that waste time with comments like read, read, read after 8 people have said the same thing, and those who say I can't express myself in the introduction forum, and those that keep misreading my posts as "which one's best?", etc. I am certainly no more berating than anyone else here is. I say I don't see how a trailer pusher is a good idea based upon what I had seen, and then 5 people jump behind me saying I trashed his opinion and I must be in full support of every motored biker. Nazis!! If I woulda trashed his opinion I would have said something more like: That is one worthless, craptabular idea. "Doesn't seem to be a good idea" is really nothing like that; the word seem implies I don't see the benefits... so a "proper etequitte" response is to send me a linky to a vid of a very nicely designed trailer pusher. Which I gladly appreciate, srdavo!

You expect to find instant knowledge and get mad when we can't supply what you want.
I do not expect to find instant knowledge, and never once did I get mad when someone ignored me... only when they went out of their way to tell me something so obvious and repetitive it makes me turn into berating-mode!

My experience with many different bikes has been, there is no "right" system, they all have pros and cons and personal taste plays a big part in the decision.
When did I ask for the right system? I started a poll that asked what you thought was the right system for you? It's a poll, people... Most all polls are founded on curiosity aren't they? I was interested in seeing the dispersion of "right" systems for all willing members of MBc.

Much time has been spent in your post talking about other issues than the original subject line, which makes me wonder who is grndslm.
I'd love to talk about the original subject line always... but if someone sets up some pins for me, ABOUT me... I'm gonna knock them suckas down, ya dig?

And if you're still wondering who I am, I'll tell ya.

I am a Libertarian (Go Ron Paul!! Since the US isn't willing to change that much, I'll now proceed to put my support behind the only other candidate of real change... Go Obama!!), a Linux geek, and generally a very late night scourer of the Interwebs.

So, I like: honest candidates, computers, bikes, backpacks, pocket knives, tents, ice cream, Nintendo DS, Wii, Xbox 360, Treo smartphones, anything made by Apple, PVRs that automatically skip commercials for me, music that moves me, and of course the smells of cut grass and even gasoline! Ahh... that's nice.

Doh! I forgot to say the unique curves on each woman I've ever laid eyes on. Can't forget that one.

OK, back to bikes, what are you looking for:

Retro look
Hill climbing
Top end
Light weight
Peddles easy
Low maintenance
Low noise
Cost
Etc.

These are decisions you need to make, because no one system can deliver all. Once you have an idea of the characteristics you need, we can discuss which systems may fill the need best.

I'd prefer to make these decisions once I've gained enough info thru the questions I've asked, the threads I started, and, more importantly, thru the experiences and builds from other members here...

Anyway, I'm an extremist... so I'd prefer something compact like this or something laid back like one of the 3 trikes Alaskavan posted here.

Honestly, tho... I could see myself with something inbetween like a mountain bike, but my big key features I'm looking for are:

(1) No derailers... I really like how that downtube comes with internal gears in the hub.. neato!!
(2) I'd prefer to have front-shocks only, but I realize that I prolly wouldn't need shocks at all with a recumbent bike...

So, as you can see... it really just depends on what falls into place for me. I have goals, but I'm not dead set on seeing them. I'm looking for the best trade-offs, which I am still trying to comprehend.

I just bought a Sturmy-Archer drum front brake, but in the research process I read up on the internal hubs. They look very "neato" and I would love to hear back from anyone that has one. I wish the internal dyno worked, but that's still being explored.
If you choose frame mount you can not have rear suspension due to the chain or belt not being able to slack or tighten.
Yer gettin there.

PS I love the smell of fresh cut grass late in the evening. Sitting on the back porch with a cold beer and drying sweat watching the damsel flies and mocking birds at twilight. I greatly dislike winter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back