Want folding bike with motor

K

kameraking

Hi there:

I am trying to figure out the best choices for a bike I want to put together.

I want to put together a folding bike with a motor so I can take it with me when I fly somewhere.
So the engine would have to be rear mounted.

I am looking at the staton inc gear boxes versus the golden eagle kits. Any preferences for one over the other? or should I use a Grebe box? Can I get the gear boxes/ kits on their own without the engine?

I want a quiet engine. I am not sure whether I should go for a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke engine.

I want the folding bike to be full sized.

Thanks for the help.
Darcy

decisions on equipment

Thanks Bamabikeguy for your information.

I am looking at the staton inc gear boxes versus the golden eagle kits. Any preferences for one over the other? or should I use a Grebe box? Can I get the gear boxes/ kits on their own without the engine?

I want a quiet engine. I am not sure whether I should go for a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke engine.

:cool:hi Darcy. i'm installing a STATON outside drive gear box on my 20" folder. owner Dave recommended the MITSUBISHI 2.2hp 2-stroke engine over the TANAKA 47cc 2.4hp i'd wanted. i chose the MITSUBISHI because Dave said it's VERY quiet, and that the TANAKA is VERY loud. i ride mainly on trails and try to be very accomodating and respectful to walkers and bike riders. i also try to be invisible to the police. (one biker who stood next to me remarked that my previous ROBIN engine setup on my bike was VERY quiet at idle.)
the MITSUBISHI engine and gear box weigh 25 pounds. i originally had the ROBIN 35cc engine and STATON friction drive on the folder, and that setup weighed 13 pounds. the bike weighed 45lbs with friction drive, now weighs 57lbs, with 192lb rider. ROBIN'S top speed was 26.7mph; Dave geared my new setup for 30mph.
when i installed the friction drive setup, the bike would not fold closed, and would not fit in the small trunk it used to fit in. when i tried to"persuade" the bike, i bent its rear wheel and had to replace it.
with the outside drive box, my bike WILL fold, but i haven't tried to pack it into my Chevy Cavalier yet. it was a bear to place semi-folded in the back seat of this car. with the heavier setup, it'll be even worse to wrangle into place.(i hope you're strong enough to manuever this unwieldy machine you'll be creating, AND lug around the additional 25 pounds of engine/gearbox you've added.)
your bike bag might have to be modified with a sewn-in pouch to accomodate the engine's "bulge". your seat will clear the STATON gearbox whe folding the bike.
both STATON and GEBE offer their installation kits with or without engines. i have not seen the GEBE setup, but it looks to be much lighter than STATON'S indestructible, but heavier system.
both companies offer the quiet ROBIN 25cc/35cc 4-stroke engines. any of these should fit the bill, and there's a smug satisfaction of pulling into a CHEVRON station next to gas-guzzling vehicles and fill up on 50 cents worth of gas. :rolleyes:
and if you're flying, you might not be able to carry oil for your 2-stroke mix.(that's IF the airlines allow a motorized bike on their plane.)
good luck.

Myron

Last edited by a moderator:
Back