Want to do a ground up build, no kits, need a parts list

SawyerLD

Local time
8:10 PM
I have zero knowledge about or experience with engine mechanics, I don't know the purpose of any of its parts. That being said, I don't want to take a gamble on a HT motor, and I'd rather go with a Honda. Thing is, you can't just buy a kit with no motor, it comes with one. So what kind of parts would I need to do a frame mount of a 4 Stroke Honda engine? I plan on installing a shift kit eventually as well, if that matters. I've looked, and looked but I can't find a How to of a ground up build. I'll be certain when I do my first build to document the whole process.

Thanks in advance!

With zero knowledge or experience, I would urge you to start with a 4 stroke kit from Bicycle-Engines.com. , gain some experience before you venture into deep water.....The HS 4 stroke is a Chinese copy of a Honda engine, and I've had good success with them...The gearbox is the key to success with 4 stroke kits...stay away from the HOOT gearbox.....Some vendors call them a Stage 5....

good luck. a mill, a lathe, numerous metal working tools...and i still just stick to kits, having stuffed around with shafts and bearings, chains and sprockets, pulleys... getting things to line up... stopping nuts from undoing, yarda yarda... as mentioned...get some experience first! takes a few years to learn what will and what wont break, even if you are an engineer!

whats wrong with HT? buy a full kit, spend the extra cus the really cheap ones are what you would call factory seconds... and get a spare engine if really worried.

list for a complete ground up build... if you want to do it properly, at least.

welder/oxytorch.
cutoff saw.
handtools.
drill(press).
various nuts and bolts.
enough sprockets and chain or belts and pulleys to get approx 18:1 reduction on 26" wheels.
a pile of steel scrap.
timber for making jigs.
measuring tools.
a frame.
an engine.
time.
experience.
access to a machine shop helps.
oh. most importantly! a shed or large space!
at least a rough sketch. if you cant draw it, chances are you cant make it!
theres plenty of other things, like a grinder, grease, solvents...

equations...my lathe and mill are equivalent to 20 HT kits at least - without tooling up. just bought oxygen. that was worth a kit and a half, simply to braze one cable lug on... but now i have oxygen when i need it (came in handy fixing the water heater yesterday) :) etc etc.

Haha Well maybe it is a bigger undertaking than I first thought. Still though, it is definitely something I want to get into. What's a good dealer for HT engines? I was looking at gasbike but I hear those are just knock off grubee kits. As for a bike, I was looking at this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AWNHVQ6/ref=gno_cart_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

But after messaging Adam from Sinister Custom Cycles, he warns me that a bike of that expense would probably be a bad buy. Taking his experience into account, I still like the bike. I love it's look, and it's a steel frame which to me sounds safer than aluminum. Also, the entire reason I'm building one of these is a cheaper alternative to a car, so I'm not looking at pouring more than $600 into it right away. That's about enough for the bike and a 4 stroke kit, with a sprocket adapter. That being said, I'm still open to being convinced that buying a $500 dollar bike is worth the money. I'm wanting to build more than one of these so maybe save the nice bike for the second project, is what I'm thinking.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
If you want to get a Honda engine. Get a Honda GX35 and a friction kit. It would serve you better than a HT kit.

Doug, you said stay clear of the HOOT/Stage 5 gear box, here on bicycle-engines they're selling a HT kit on sale that comes with a Stage III gear box, and I'm wondering if they're the same or if I should just steer clear of gearboxes period. And if that's so, what problems are associated with a gearbox as opposed to a T-belt system?

Bonefish, I like the idea of owning a Honda engine, but I can't stand the look and functionality of a friction kit. I just feel it's adding a lot of unnecessary wear to the back tire, and the look of it on a bike just isn't my style. I like motorcycles, just can't afford one! I plan on replacing almost all the original parts included in a kit. From improved throttle and gas line, to performance air filters and new hardware, including swapping the engine for a Honda. Or just use the Honda on my 2nd bike. Not sure yet, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

When I had a HT kit, I didn't like the friction drive kits either. Then after multiple breakdowns with the HT kit, and later on I got the Friction kit. I loved the simplicity and the reliability of the friction kit over the HT kit. You can always take the Honda GX35 motor off the friction kit and put it on something else later if you don't like the friction kit.

my HT that im using currently has over a year of abuse, over 50km rides daily, mostly full throttle. its been through four frames... had to replace one crank seal so far. (48cc)

on the other hand, i had one HT that couldnt get me the 5km to work, ever. (a 66 or "80")

miles? 30 and 3 approx.

get a cromo frame, mountainbike with straight seat stays. v brakes, or cantilever at a minimum, front and back. having just fitted a "dual lever"... i regret not having done so earlier! both brakes on one lever is so much nicer!

avoid fat tubes, theyre hard to mount. dont drill holes in frames.

accumulate spare parts. stick to one size and supplier....when you find one that doesnt die instantly ;) cant say who, im not in the US. ignore 99% of the advertising hype. its people trying to make money, not help. IMHO, bigger is NOT better.

friction drive is the pits when there is any moisture on the roads, and as for diesel...oh wow.

and so far, having never seen a fourstroke kit that doesnt require offset cranks... i avoid all fourstroke kits.

ive also had(rackmounted) 3 HS 50cc fourstrokes die. one left me stranded, the others left someone else stranded. i wouldnt trust them for constant use. honda...well, honda is another story :) i want one for my kayak! cus i dont want to be stuck up some creek 50km (or miles!) from help with no engine... (and if i leave the river and head down the coast to the next river...oh wow. i need reliability!)

Back